Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mobile website plugin option?
With mobiles devices like smart phones and tablets enjoying such massive popularity these days having a mobile version of a website is becoming more and more important. Responsive sites are one side of the coin, basically offering one site for all devices. But there's also the other side of the coin: a seperate mobile website where a selection of the content is served to the visitor.

To my knowledge there isn't a proper Get Simple solution for this 2nd scenario yet. But I think there should be.

I guess the most easy way of going about things would be 2 separate installs of Get Simple. One for the regular site and one for the mobile site. However for the end user it would then be preferable to have these 2 sites behind one login, offering a selection screen pointing him to the one or the other. Is this currently possible?

Another option would be a plugin enabling the end user to manage his mobile site and content from the regular GS admin. I think this would probably be the nicest option of the two.

Every day I am surprised by some of the stuff the plugin developers come up with so I am quite sure something like this will be possible.

Not being a programmer myself I am afraid I won't be of much help coding-wise, however I am willing to do my part helping out where I can, testing, writing documentation, etc. And as I would also be using it professionally I would be willing to even fund development if needed (and then donating it back to the community of course).

I think a plugin like this, or otherwise that first option would be a very good addition to GS so I hope someone will pick up the glove.

Let's go guys!
(2013-06-02, 04:33:14)Draxeiro Wrote: Responsive sites are one side of the coin, basically offering one site for all devices. But there's also the other side of the coin: a seperate mobile website where a selection of the content is served to the visitor.

Maybe something like that could be done with the Theme Switcher plugin, with which you could have two different themes, default and mobile.
Hello,

I apologize for resurrecting this thread if there is more appropriate place for this conversation then let me know. This one was the best I could find when searching the forum for "Mobile".

I would love to know what other Get Simple developers are doing when it comes to mobile websites for their customers. Most customers I know are OK with just the main pages displaed on a mobile device with a big "Call me" and "Find me" buttons. ie Not all pages have to be displayed.

I'm finding it hard to think of a clean solution that meets all the criteria though.

1) Only certain, select pages to be shown on the mobile device
2) Customer to only edit the one page to make changes and those changes to be seen on both the standard and mobile websites. ie not the need to make the same change twice.
3) Handle the images that are inserted by the customer for both the standard and mobile devices. ie image sizes changes depending on the device.

I understand that some training maybe involved for the customer and as long as it's not too complicated then I can document the procedure.

Does anyone know if there is a clean solution - having two installations seems a bit like an over kill, is a responsive design the only way, how does this handle user uploaded images and then those images needing to be resized depending on the browser size?? (I'm just learning responsive design so this maybe obvious to some but not to me I'm afraid)

Hope to hear from some other web developers in how they handle this type of situation. An up to date plugin that handles everything would be fantastic but apart from that old one that was mentioned above and the Mobile Theme changer that also was last updated nearly two years ago there doesn't seem to be anything else.

Anyway, hope to create a conversation about this topic.
create a template for a mobile page, create a page with slug 'mobile', use this template, then you can create child pages to pages 'mobile', and add this code to the file .htaccess
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} "text/vnd.wap.wml¦application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "acs|alav|alca|amoi|audi|aste|benq|blac|blaz|brew|cell|cldc|cmd-" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "dang|doco|erics|hipt|inno|ipaq|java|jigs|kddi|keji|leno|lg-c|lg-d|lg-g|lge-" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "maui|maxo|midp|mits|mmef|mobi|mot-|moto|mwbp|nec-|newt|noki|opwv" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "palm|pana|pant|pdxg|phil|pluc|port|prox|qtek|qwap|sage|sams|sany" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "sch-|sec-|send|seri|sgh-|shar|sie-|siem|smal|smar|sony|sph-|symb|t-mo" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "teli|tim-|tsm-|upg1|upsi|vk-v|voda|w3cs|wap-|wapa|wapi" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "wapp|wapr|webc|winw|winw|xda|xda-" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "up.browser|up.link|windowssce|iemobile|mini|mmp" [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "symbian|midp|wap|phone|pocket|android|mobile|pda|psp" [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://your_site.com/mobile/$1 [NC,L]

you do not have to have two adminpanel
I did not use it this way, I make websites using CSS
http://www.responsinator.com/?url=http%3...dus.org%2F
Probably the best method is to make/get a well coded responsive template.
For example lets say you would go with bootstrap (there are other frameworks but this is my favorite) then you could easily achieve the things you mentioned:
(2013-10-15, 16:55:46)stryker Wrote: 1) Only certain, select pages to be shown on the mobile device
2) Customer to only edit the one page to make changes and those changes to be seen on both the standard and mobile websites. ie not the need to make the same change twice.
3) Handle the images that are inserted by the customer for both the standard and mobile devices. ie image sizes changes depending on the device.

You would just have the usual admin panel then for the content you could do something like:

PHP Code:
<div class="hidden-xs">Your high resolution content here with a class thats hidden on phones but visible on everything above.</div

As for the images you could do:
1. Add "img-responsive" class to the image when you add it in the editor
2. Write some js to automatically add img-responsive class to all images that hasnt got it already:

PHP Code:
function makeResponsive() {
    if (!$(
'img').hasClass('img-responsive')) {
        $(
'img').addClass('img-responsive');
    }

Then fire the function once the page is loaded/ready/whenever you want.

Note: The above example is for bootstrap. More info here.

There are a lot more possibilities (awesome stuff) with these kind of frameworks so make sure you check them out Cool
Thanks heaps guys. Some more research involved but at least I'm now going in the right direction Smile

The more I think about it the more I think the best option is one responsive template that handles only the one set of data. I think this is the way things are going so will train up in this area.

Thanks again.
(2013-10-17, 07:25:36)stryker Wrote: Thanks heaps guys. Some more research involved but at least I'm now going in the right direction Smile

The more I think about it the more I think the best option is one responsive template that handles only the one set of data. I think this is the way things are going so will train up in this area.

IMHO it is really , really important that new sites should be good for the whole range of screens, tablets and phones. Fixed width sites are looking more and more obsolete every day.