Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Static sites w/ GS - speed & security. "GetSimpler"
Hi everyone,

I really like getsimple - the simple design and file-backed DB approach is much nicer than wordpress.

However, I run my wordpress sites as pre-generated static HTML sites, because 99% of the time my site content doesn't change. The wordpress plugin I use is this one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/really-static/. Since doing this I basically stopped worrying about security updates to Wordpress, because my wordpress admin site isn't exposed to the public. However I'd rather use getsimple than wordpress.

The advantages of doing this are:

a. Faster page serves - static HTML pages are much faster to serve anyway (no processing involved/includes), and can be completely cached in memory for minimum delay via e.g. memlockd or Apache's mod_file_cache. This decrease in page serve time directly impacts Google rank and viewer happiness.

b. Much more security. Hide your 'real' getsimple site from public view and expose only the generated static HTML copy. Static HTML pages are essentially unhackable. Getsimple seems well written, but it is a matter of fact that the software has had vulnerabilities published in the past.

c. Less overhead - apache uses less memory since most of the time PHP isn't running, and

d. Ability to run the client website on a different server from the admin website. e.g. run getsimple locally, autogenerate the whole client site, zip and upload. This means the client-facing site doesn't need PHP installed locally (further security gain). It also means the admin-facing site doesn't need to worry about security updates; it's never exposed to the public (further security gain).

So, hopefully I've convinced you all that this would be an awesome idea (and if you agree, please do help out by flagging this post so that the local coding geniuses spot it!)

Can someone write a getsimple plugin to autogenerate a static site complete with themes? (or can this feature be built into the core distribution? I bet there are heaps of users for whom dynamic page generation is total overkill).

Thanks, and farewell...
The amusing cow...

Messages In This Thread
Static sites w/ GS - speed & security. "GetSimpler" - by the_amusing_cow - 2011-07-19, 10:00:35