Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SEO Theme
Warning: I might sound a little annoyed/angry in this reaction. I noticed this when I read it myself. I am not angry with you, so no worries ;-) I just didn’t want to rewrite everything.

This is also one of my biggest replies ever. Take your time, hahaha.

---

Accessibility is a very important subject to me, so I always have arguments ready. I’m looking forward to your comment!

staseo Wrote:Try to check this theme with Firefox, Opera, IE etc. try to see it via IE6! I think, that the 4–5.5 will work too. Even browsers without CSS support, will show the site in good way (try 2 disable CSS on Firefox).
Sure, I didn’t say anything about that either. However Internet Explorer 3 supported CSS already, and since you’re mostly just setting colours you could’ve used CSS and still be compatible with all IE starting with version 3.

How many browsers can you name right now that don’t support CSS? Without using Google? I can think of only one, Lynx. I have Lynx installed for accessibility testing and can tell you that it completely ignores your table anyway.

Now try this theme with any of those browsers you mentioned using JAWS or VoiceOver. Because that’s where my accessibility issues lie:

Apple Inc. Wrote:As you navigate each table cell, VoiceOver speaks the column heading and cell contents, followed by the row and column numbers, such as “row three, column one.”

staseo Wrote:Yes, the theme is flexible- width and height, fits the size of your screen.BY the way, try to render it with small screen, like mobile.
Did you try this? Most modern mobile webbrowsers use the WebKit engine and work completely with normal flexible-width CSS. You will need to test older mobile browsers.

I tried Opera Mobile, which I believe was a major Java browser on older phones. They also have an emulator so it was the easiest to test. This browser ignores your table, so again, you don’t need a table here to make it flexible. (Screenshot attached.)

staseo Wrote:The little difference is: the crawler or what ever, can calculate the relative position (and distance) of the headings, content and menu—this parameter helps to understand, which part of your site is more important, than other.
Do you have any articles on this or is it really just your opinion? I thought crawlers used source order to assign importance. First thing in the source gets most importance and it goes down from their. Source order is more easily controlled with CSS than tables.
Harvey Kane Wrote:Good source code will have the page content as clost to the top of the HTML document as possible, and the least important elements such as sidebars and footers last.
(Quote from the SEO Checklist on SEO blog RagePank.)

PS: As mentioned by Joe Clark in his book Building Accessible Websites (chapter 10 on tables) HTML 3.2 allows tables for presentational markup. So if you use the following Doctype I will take back all I have said:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
This doesn’t fix any of the accessibility problems, but at least you show people you’re using HTML standards from the ’90s.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!

Messages In This Thread
SEO Theme - by staseo - 2010-10-26, 09:07:40
SEO Theme - by Zegnåt - 2010-10-30, 01:23:16
SEO Theme - by staseo - 2010-10-30, 11:40:12
SEO Theme - by Zegnåt - 2010-10-30, 23:14:17
SEO Theme - by staseo - 2010-10-31, 01:10:20
SEO Theme - by Carlos - 2010-10-31, 01:22:30
SEO Theme - by Zegnåt - 2010-10-31, 02:45:29
SEO Theme - by staseo - 2010-11-13, 13:56:39
SEO Theme - by staseo - 2010-11-13, 14:04:21
SEO Theme - by Oleg06 - 2010-11-13, 20:45:48
SEO Theme - by staseo - 2010-11-14, 05:32:16