Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for New Forum Users
Connie and Chris

I agree with Connie on the Spam Posts that seem to be happening a lot of lately, and also her suggestion of blocking those IP Addresses is probable the best option. (This will slow the SPAM down but it will not stop it, because most IP addresses are not static. I guess you could block a range of IP Numbers but then you run the risk of not allowing some the opportunity to join the forum that are not Spammers)

I would like to say in defense of some that ask questions that may have been answered before in the forum or that may seem a little basic to some here on the forum to remember, that not all that are here looking to use GS are computer professionals. These people are just looking for CMS, they can use to get a web site up and look pretty good. I think GetSimple and the people here on the forum do this for the most part, but I would like to throw my 2 cents in on a couple of suggestions. (I know I personally have had questions and have searched the forum here for an answer to what I thought was the right question, but my real problem was not knowing the right question to ask so I was searching in vain.) I am by nature a pretty hard headed type person and sometimes to a fault so I don't ask for help when I really should. I know I sure have made my share of screw ups by not asking and having to start all over from scratch.

I like the idea of more sticky's at the top of posts. These need to be updated as new information is updated.(This should be updated by the owner of the plugin or script)

There are a lot of the posts that are really hard to follow because of the many changes that are made to new plugins & scripts and because the forum has multi-national following the language issue sometimes is a problem. (Maybe time to archive some of the older posts?)

I think I made a suggestion in an earlier post for a Newbies Topic area.
This could be an area were new people could ask questions and not feel intimidated,. Sometimes another person that is also learning can help on a level that a new person can understand.(Because they have been there.) The GetSimple pros could jump in when they see that an answer given was wrong. I know, I read the posts in the developers topic area and a lot of the posts are way over my head.

( Advice here to newbies is do a lot of Goggling before you ask, sometimes that will at least get you to a point were you know the right question to ask)

I hope no one feels that I am complaining with my post, because I truly feel that GetSimple is by far the best CMS for someone with very little expertise to use and can continue to use long after they have grown in knowledge of building a web sites.

I just hope that the developers and forum members that have more expertise here at GetSimple let it live up to its name and keep it simple. I have used several CMS over the last 4 years that were really pretty simple to use, (and still are if you learned to use it before the community changed.) Now these CMS are mostly there for the developers and a few that already have a back ground in web design because the community has gotten to were the newbie just can't ask a question without feeling intimidated. Over time it seems that these other CMS always get away from their original direction mostly due to others that come in and change things from the original direction, so most folks go back to using Word Press.

Bob

Messages In This Thread
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by Connie - 2011-05-03, 21:35:59
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by ccagle8 - 2011-05-03, 21:48:20
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by rfuller - 2011-05-04, 03:31:58
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by mvlcek - 2011-05-04, 04:50:43
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by Connie - 2011-05-05, 15:59:59
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by SomeUser - 2011-05-05, 18:04:26
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by hameau - 2011-05-06, 18:22:18
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by SomeUser - 2011-05-07, 05:43:48
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by ccagle8 - 2011-05-07, 06:11:00
Suggestions for New Forum Users - by hameau - 2011-05-07, 17:21:53