Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.htaccess and Windows Hosting
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re talking about web servers running IIS, not Windows hosts in general. This is also why using PHP_OS would mess things up.

I don’t have access to Windows right now but I assume Windows running Apache will return the same PHP_OS string as Windows running IIS. Many web developers use Windows based machines but develop for Linux servers, this means they run Apache. Just because PHP_OS tells us we’re on Windows doesn’t mean we’re on IIS.

We might be able to check for the SERVER_SOFTWARE info of $_SERVER but I have no idea how much that one varies between versions of server software.

Another problem is that some .htaccess files are not created at all. They are in the folder structure as soon as you extract GetSimple from its download.

With all these problems (and with non of us core guys being on IIS) I wouldn’t count on official IIS support in the core anytime soon.

Hope this makes the problems clear. Of course, if you or anyone else can come up with good solutions we will gladly implement it. It’s open-source for a reason!
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!

Messages In This Thread
.htaccess and Windows Hosting - by SamWM - 2010-11-20, 01:58:01
.htaccess and Windows Hosting - by Zegnåt - 2010-11-20, 02:20:39
.htaccess and Windows Hosting - by yojoe - 2010-11-20, 07:06:47
.htaccess and Windows Hosting - by SamWM - 2010-11-27, 02:13:13
.htaccess and Windows Hosting - by Zegnåt - 2010-11-27, 02:59:04
.htaccess and Windows Hosting - by novagiant - 2011-04-15, 11:58:03