Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I18N InnovationGrid Theme
This theme package is intended to provide a quick and easy-to-install starting point for a responsive, multi-language Web-Site. The intention is that users can get a functional and easy to maintain web site up and running in a matter of minutes.

The files include a new version of the default Innovation theme. The new theme uses CSS3 Grid techniques, hence the name, InnovationGrid, and allows more flexibility when designing for different screen widths.

Important features such as a language menu and search functions are integrated into the theme files. 

The theme can be configured to integrate the Front-End User Login Enhanced plugin. This plugin allows access to content to be restricted to registered users. New menu components for mobile and static devices are provided, which only show users the pages they are authorized to access.

Detailed installation instruction are provided online at GitHub and in the README.md file included in the download.

Download the I18N InnovationGrid Theme.
Web Developer and Translator (German > English)
Quote:The files include a new version of the default Innovation theme ....

Link in the text to Innovation theme is garbled, please check.
Smile 
(2022-01-08, 01:44:51)Felix Wrote:
Quote:The files include a new version of the default Innovation theme ....

Link in the text to Innovation theme is garbled, please check.

Link corrected - many thanks
I tested this theme on a new and clean installation 2 days ago using version 3.3.16. It broke the site. No time right now to see what went wrong. It could have been something I did. I followed the instructions in the README to a 'T' though. Moving on to something else for now but might come back to it and see what the deal is.
(2022-04-07, 04:34:32)masterblaster Wrote: I tested this theme on a new and clean installation 2 days ago using version 3.3.16. It broke the site. No time right now to see what went wrong. It could have been something I did. I followed the instructions in the README to a 'T' though. Moving on to something else for now but might come back to it and see what the deal is.
Hello and thanks for taking the time to give me this feedback.
Do you still have your installation online or have a screenshot that might help me start to pin down the problem?
Alternatively, did you activate PHP error messages and see if that was the root of the problem?
Best wishes,
(2022-04-07, 04:45:12)Alan-A Wrote:
(2022-04-07, 04:34:32)masterblaster Wrote: I tested this theme on a new and clean installation 2 days ago using version 3.3.16. It broke the site. No time right now to see what went wrong. It could have been something I did. I followed the instructions in the README to a 'T' though. Moving on to something else for now but might come back to it and see what the deal is.
Hello and thanks for taking the time to give me this feedback.
Do you still have your installation online or have a screenshot that might help me start to pin down the problem?
Alternatively, did you activate PHP error messages and see if that was the root of the problem?
Best wishes,

No, I didn't take any screenshots. As soon as it broke the site I took it all down and am reinstalling 3.3.16 from scratch. If I encounter any more problems I'll document them for you. PHP error messages was not activated if it's not activated by default. Smile
(2022-04-07, 04:52:09)masterblaster Wrote: No, I didn't take any screenshots. As soon as it broke the site I took it all down and am reinstalling 3.3.16 from scratch. If I encounter any more problems I'll document them for you. PHP error messages was not activated if it's not activated by default. Smile

I'll do a test install tomorrow as well so we'll get to the root of this
I've now got a demo installation online here.
This is with the theme as downloaded from here, the plugins listed in the readme, and the pages and components files from the download.
Hi Alan-A,

Thanks for making this theme for the community
and putting this theme online
Smile 
(2022-04-07, 20:33:55)Felix Wrote: Hi Alan-A,

Thanks for making this theme for the community
and putting this theme online
Thanks Felix Big Grin
There's a few important improvements on their way ...
Alan

Further to our off line discussions, this note refers to the Dev build of 17/3/2022.

With reference to the full width page (so not Burger menu) side bar menus...

Whilst it is possible to limit the depth of menus by editing lines 17 to 21 of navigation.inc.php, this is currently a global parameter and as such takes no account of how deep in the menu tree the user is. [like this]

[Image: 2022-04-08-19-34-08-History-Tri-ang-Mini...irefox.png]

In other words, it would be useful to be able to only show lower levels of menu when the user enters a higher level. This focuses attention and stops the entire menu tree being visible at once.

David
(2022-04-09, 04:33:18)david.matthewson Wrote: Alan

Further to our off line discussions, this note refers to the Dev build of 17/3/2022.

Whilst it is possible to limit the depth of menus by editing lines 17 to 21 of navigation.inc.php, this is currently a global parameter and as such takes no account of how deep in the menu tree the user is. [like this]

In other words, it would be useful to be able to only show lower levels of menu when the user enters a higher level. This focuses attention and stops the entire menu tree being visible at once.

David

Hello David,
I'll build in the behaviour you describe (and as per your website), but not in the next release - I need to test, clean up my code and make the theme more robust first....
It would also be useful to be able to open a 'new' branch in the menu without the whole page page reloading, for example, by hovering over the link or clicking the bullet.
Alan
(2022-04-11, 19:26:06)Alan-A Wrote:
(2022-04-09, 04:33:18)david.matthewson Wrote: Alan

David

Hello David,
I'll build in the behaviour you describe (and as per your website), but not in the next release - I need to test, clean up my code and make the theme more robust first....
It would also be useful to be able to open a 'new' branch in the menu without the whole page page reloading, for example, by hovering over the link or clicking the bullet.
Alan

Noted with thanks Alan

David
Hello Alan,
first of all I want to thank u for making this theme available. I have seen your demo.
Few years back i have created something similar(admin part) for a client. But I like your approach more ..
Saying (writing) this, I can conclude that only by looking at admin part of the site.
Site does not work as it comes broken in the browser / localhost.
I will make a new GS install and run your instruction once again, it could be my error somewhere.
Cheers
(2022-04-19, 06:49:11)alex_d Wrote: Hello Alan,
first of all I want to thank u for making this theme available. I have seen your demo.
Few years back i have created something similar for a client. But I like your approach more ..
Saying (writing) this, I can conclude that only by looking at admin part of the site.
Site does not work as it comes broken in the browser / localhost.
I will make a new GS install and run your instruction once again, it could be my error somewhere.
Cheers

Hello Alex,
thanks for your feedback. Please activate php debugging and tell me what error(s) you are getting. (Easiest way is to install the debugmode plugin.)
Many thanks,
Alan
Hello Alan, tried in the fresh install (3.4.*) even without the sidebar and demo pages but its broken.
Kind of $language is not defined as a function .. ?

here is a copy/pasta of debugger

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2022-04-19, 17:42:56)alex_d Wrote: Hello Alan, tried in the fresh install (3.4.*) even without the sidebar and demo pages but its broken.

Hello Alex,
three questions:
  • can you post the full text of the "$language is not defined as a function" message?
  • are you getting this message in the front end?
  • which PHP version are you using?
Thanks
(2022-04-19, 19:11:18)Alan-A Wrote:
(2022-04-19, 17:42:56)alex_d Wrote: Hello Alan, tried in the fresh install (3.4.*) even without the sidebar and demo pages but its broken.

Hello Alex,
three questions:
  • can you post the full text of the "$language is not defined as a function" message?
  • are you getting this message in the front end?
  • which PHP version are you using?
Thanks

Alan, 
previous pict is the message from the top of admin, by debug plugin.

This is how it the site preview looks (in the attachment, a long one). 

Fresh install GS version is 3.4.0a. Got an error (attachment, a short one) on the install but went further .. maybe this could also have some influence?

three questions:
  • can you post the full text of the "$language is not defined as a function" message? >> see PDF

• are you getting this message in the front end? >> that msg was in the admin (backend), the PDF doc is in the front-end

• which PHP version are you using? >> 3.4.0a

Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   innovationgrid_02.pdf (Size: 225.1 KB / Downloads: 2)
Lightbulb 
Hello Alex,
it's only now sunk in that you're using 3.4.0a, which is a development version and not intended for general use. 
The theme is listed as 3.3, which is the current general release. Install 3.3.16 and the theme will work.
I've not looked at the 3.4.* releases yet.
Before I do that, I want to get the theme bug-free as it is, make it more robust and add in the menu feature requested above in this thread.
Then I'll certainly be giving 3.4 a look.
Best wishes
well i went with 3.4.0a as i had it installed and i did like it, deff a good improvement toward the previous version.

The theme is listed as 3.3. >> I didn't pay the attention to this.

I'll try it on 3.3.16 too.

I.m.o. it needs some attention (Usability wise) with the manual from the section about replacing *.xml files and copy/pasta demo files.
Its a bit confusing, and also *.zip package could be sorted too so its clear from the start what is the theme and what are files to replace.
Or it could be me as I was quite some time away from GS stuff ...

Cheers
and to add,
im looking ahead to your update of the back-end code, thats the part that interest me.
As I wrote yesterday, I did something similar few years back but your back-end is 'more elegant' so I could learn something from it.
Cheers
(2022-04-19, 21:07:37)alex_d Wrote: well i went with 3.4.0a as i had it installed and i did like it, deff a good improvement toward the previous version.

I.m.o. it needs some attention (Usability wise) with the manual from the section about replacing *.xml files and copy/pasta demo files.
Its a bit confusing, and also *.zip package could be sorted too so its clear from the start what is the theme and what are files to replace.

Cheers

You're right about the usability but I went with updating .xml files as I thought that this would be less error-prone than asking someone to add half a dozen components (all components are stored in a single components.xml file).
Ok, I could make an installer but the paths in the .zip download are correct so you should be able to install everything from that in one operation.
(2022-04-19, 21:15:26)alex_d Wrote: and to add,
im looking ahead to your update of the back-end code, thats the part that interest me.
As I wrote yesterday, I did something similar few years back but your back-end is 'more elegant' so I could learn something from it.
Cheers

With 'back-end code' do you mean that I have put all the 'working bits' in components instead of writing a plugin?
ok it does work in a fresh install of 3.3.16, no errors.

please download previous 3.4.0a error attachments so i can delete images as I see that 500kb is the limit

Cheers
(2022-04-19, 21:18:31)Alan-A Wrote:
(2022-04-19, 21:07:37)alex_d Wrote: well i went with 3.4.0a as i had it installed and i did like it, deff a good improvement toward the previous version.

Cheers

You're right about the usability but I went with updating .xml files as I thought that this would be less error-prone than asking someone to add half a dozen components (all components are stored in a single components.xml file).
Ok, I could make an installer but the paths in the .zip download are correct so you should be able to install everything from that in one operation.

.. I could make an installer but the paths in the .zip download are correct  .. >> yes they are, now I tried for the 2nd time I got your idea. As I said, it could be me as Im quite rusty on GS now. 
I would stay away from an installer, the less 'automatic' stuff = better. 
And novice (or a rusty ones ..) dev's will practice more to get it right.