Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Front End User Login Plugin (XML Or Database - ver: 3.0)
Hello SlazZe,

I came up with a canning plan... well it's a bad hack really... but it works for the website that I'm putting together.

I am making 3 assumptions:
1. the website URL is http://my.site.com/
2. the path to the www directory is /var/www,
3. the path to the www directory is accessible via SSH/telnet

I installed Get-Simple:
- once in/var/www (i will call this installation Public), and
- once in another directory/var/www/members (I will call this installation Private)

After completing the installation steps for BOTH get-simple instances (including setting up the write permissions etc.) and before installing any plugins:
- I deleted the folder /var/www/members/data/users
- created a symbolic link to the users folder of the public installation using the following command
ln -s ../../data/users users
This is to eliminate the chances of out of synch admin users between the two installations.

Now my plan is to :
- modify the .htaccess file in the private installation directory to reference .htpasswd for basic HTTP basic authentication
- modify (or rather butcher) the front end plugin keeping the bare minimum required functionality, that is to to add/edit/remove users through the Get-Simple administration. Behind the scenes, I will call some code that I have written for the previous version of the site, to manipulate the data in .htpasswd

I know this is an ugly hack (adding links across the two installation can be a bit of pain), but it suits my requirements i.e. time (very little) and budget (£0... I'm doing it for a friend).

I will keep you posted.

If mikeh agrees I will upload whatever monstrosity I end up with after I butcher the front-end plug in Smile

Ciao,
GeorgiosG

Messages In This Thread
Example site down, having issues - by Rich_K - 2012-11-14, 07:36:37
login box won't display - by horstuff - 2015-11-20, 04:57:25
Front End User Login Plugin (XML Or Database - ver: 3.0) - by GeorgiosG - 2012-03-08, 08:19:14