Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended PHP & XML Tutorials?
I am loving Get Simple, but it's obvious that to fully take advantage of all it has to offer I need to acquire some php skills. Can anyone recommend any good, free online PHP and XML tutorials for beginners that would directly help in building custom functions and plugins as they relate to GetSimple CMS?

Thank you.
I don't know where to start Smile

Tutorials & Suggestions
First I would suggest Zend's PHP 101 tutorial.
It is a great place to start and even reference in the future when your a pro.

Another good mix of tutorials is Tutsplus's Best Way To Learn PHP tutorial.
This is a newer article that has a learning plan.

Another good tutsplus article is PHP OOP For Beginners

An almost priceless set of video tutorials, put together by a well respected developer and creator of the tutsplus network (Jeffrey Way) is the Diving Into PHP Series
The above series of videos does require you to sign up for tutsplus's premium account, but it is worth every cent.

Community:
PHP.Net is an amazing resource. It could take some time getting used to the user submitted suggestions, comments, and the general documentation of each function, but it is invaluable while developing.

PHP Freaks IRC is a great IRC channel with tons of helpful folks that do not mind spending their time to help you figure out your script

If you have any questions regarding a script, idea, concept, etc., you can always send me an email or skype. I am by no means an expert but I have been studying php for a good amount of time now, so I might be of help on occasion.

Practice is your best tool. Getsimple could be a great resource for learning php. Try creating plugins and scripts for it and watch your skills increase with each attempt.
mikeh Wrote:I don't know where to start Smile

Thanks Mike!

I'd say that was a pretty good start! Thank you for your suggestions! I think the last time I took a stab at php I got as var as echo('hello world'), so i'm looking forward to giving it another shot.
Dominic Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:I don't know where to start Smile

Thanks Mike!

I'd say that was a pretty good start! Thank you for your suggestions! I think the last time I took a stab at php I got as var as echo('hello world'), so i'm looking forward to giving it another shot.

No problem, if you need some assistance or direction feel free to skype me Smile
I used to teach groups of people html/css or affiliate marketing through skype all the time.

Good Luck & remember to have fun!
Another good and easy to understand tutorial on PHP and XML is "Introduction To SimpleXML With PHP" at phpro.org