Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relative path vs full path for images and PDF links
(2013-08-21, 18:03:24)Carlos Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 03:44:53)Thomas Helzle Wrote: Doesn't happen here.
I am using the default fancy URLs and everything seems to work just fine.
Since the links are site-relative, I don't think they will break, no matter from where in the hierarchy they are used?
The browser always delivers a data/upload... link, no matter where I am.

Ah yes, so with that patch links are site relative, and I suppose that you have a base href tag in your template header to make them work properly.

The base tag approach is interesting, but it seems there are some issues with it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18890...98#1889898

Yeah, in post 36 above I suggest this:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...8#pid39008

Interesting discussion you link to.
As I said, ModX is using this as a solution for content links and I hadn't any problems there, even with anchors on the page. But I can't say if they have any additional provisions for such cases.
It may be an interesting CMS to study though.

The picture as I see it right now:
- Everything that is part of the template is no problem, since it mainly depends on the developer to create code that works with whatever structure is needed. Here, php placeholders can be used and therefore it's as dynamic as one wants it to be. Links can be relative or absolute since they can be constructed dynamically.

- The same is true for menus, since they can be created dynamically with code.

So in principle the "backend" is well covered as far as I can see.

- Then we have "static content" like images, audio or video. These can be used with absolute links with the GS default settings or maybe in the future with site relative links with a solution like mine above, which can either stay a hack or - if it proves stable and elegant enough - could become an option in gsconfig.

Like any other setting, it may need a page in the wiki to explain the possible pitfalls, but there is hardly anything in web-development that doesn't break in certain situations, so it depends mostly on how sever the problems really would be in real-live scenarios.

- And finally there are page links in the front-end-content.
I am not sure if anything changes in this regard between absolute and site relative links?
The problem that the hierarchy may change isn't really different between absolute and site-relative links. Isn't that more a question of how GS deals with tracking such changes?

Thanks for all the input! Good food for thought!

Cheers,

Tom

Messages In This Thread
RE: Relative path vs full path for images and PDF links - by Thomas Helzle - 2013-08-21, 23:48:35