Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
functions for putting several sections on a single page
I downloaded this premium theme, called simplystic, so that I could pick it apart and see how it works. I'm mostly interested in its implementation of listing recent posts, and having multiple "get" actions on the same pages. it uses the page hierarchy functionality, and then allows you to pull content from its sub-pages, and list them, like you would in a wordpress post query.

if my explanation sucks, check out the demo:

http://getsimplethemes.com/demos/simplystic/

so, i'm not a php expert, and was wondering if anyone could help me pick apart exactly how they're doing this? i don't think i should link to the theme files publicly, as that would be unethical, but if someone has php experience, and thinks they could help, i can pm you the necessary files, and maybe we could figure it out?
This will probably sound incredibly stupid (because I don't think I've fully understood what you're asking for), but couldn't you more or less achieve this result using frames/iframes in your template/components/content?
I think that this is a bit of self-promotion by getsimplethemes.com.
--
Nick.
hameau Wrote:I think that this is a bit of self-promotion by getsimplethemes.com.
I agree Smile
We had all been beginners :)
no, i'm legitimately someone whose trying to pick apart the theme and reverse engineer what it's doing.

i think frames would be a really bad idea. one, because it can evidently be done without them, and two, because they shouldn't ever be used to display content from within your own domain. that just wreaks of bad practice.

EDIT: I guess, short of hunkering down, and learning the fuck out of php, there isn't an easy way to do this. sorry if i explained it badly. basically i wanted to set it up so that you could create a blog page, and then all child pages under that could be pulled onto the home page as blog entries. additionally, i wanted to be able to mimick this functionality with other pages, so, for example, there would be a featured boxes page, and all sub pages within it could be pulled onto the home page as a featured box, aligned in a grid.
look closer at those plugins functionalities:
i18n search
i18n special pages
maybe custom fields too.

Your problem is that you don't explain a problem you are facing, but rather describe a hypothetical problem, One solution covering all possible ideas man can come up with doesn't exist.

Other thing is that too many newcomers think, that GS is more powerful than wordpress, joomla, drupal, contao, and dozen other website management systems, while being the simplest one on earth.
Nothing further from the truth.

There's nothing worse than trying to force the car to fly, instead of using an airplane.

If you need a true cms for blogging, look at nibbleblog, nucleus or flatpress blogcmses.
The last one is a file driven system like GS.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Bearses Wrote:basically i wanted to set it up so that you could create a blog page, and then all child pages under that could be pulled onto the home page as blog entries. additionally, i wanted to be able to mimick this functionality with other pages, so, for example, there would be a featured boxes page, and all sub pages within it could be pulled onto the home page as a featured box, aligned in a grid.

Some of these can be done with I18N Search, now that this plugin lets you search by parent.
I've been experimenting a bit with this.

Let's suppose your blog page has slug 'blog'. Install the plugin, then edit that page and paste this into the content:

(% searchresults order=date tags=_parent_blog HEADER="" DATE_FORMAT="%A, %d.%m.%Y - %H:%M" %)

For the second part (featured box, etc.), or if you want to further customize how this is displayed (though you can style it with css), you can do more with the help of components. See I18N Search custom rendering.