Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
linux mint and lamp or xampp
Does anyone use linux mint and have a lamp setup for GS work? I recently abandoned windows for mint and it's good except that xampp and lamp and file permissions are a total mare. I had to abandon local working and work on a web server just to get the job done and still after weeks I am unable to get a reliable and useable localhost under xampp. 
sounds like user group issues
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2016-02-28, 22:17:15)Timbow Wrote: Does anyone use linux mint and have a lamp setup for GS work? I recently abandoned windows for mint and it's good except that xampp and lamp and file permissions are a total mare. I had to abandon local working and work on a web server just to get the job done and still after weeks I am unable to get a reliable and useable localhost under xampp. 

I switched to xampp on mint after retiring windows XP.

The problem seemed was that I copied GS to a directory in localhost but could not run it via the browser unless I was logged in as root. It looked like the folder in the localhost www directory was effectively owned by the server and so as user 'lesh' looking via the browser I got 403-forbidden error as only the server was allowed run them. If I ftp'ed them into there as I would online it was OK.

I think the solution was for user 'lesh' to join the www-data group with permission to run files in there.

I found useful info that steered me in the right direction in and article I found for setting up a server on Raspberry Pi after searching for something like "xampp permissions on linux".

If I find the information link(s) I will post here.

Hopefully not adding to the confusion - les howarth
You could make sure php safe mode os off and then open up your permissions to all. Or ensure operating user and httpd user is in same group, wither way your httpd should not be run as root it should be custom user or your own account if you are not running as daemon
I can't say I have really taken the trouble to learn anything much about groups and users. Looks like I am going to have to.
Just to say I never got xampp sorted but have vagrant working now
https://www.vagrantup.com/

Took a while to set it up, but it works great!
I use easyphp but they now charge for modules, so im gonna have to find a new one
(2016-06-23, 23:17:22)shawn_a Wrote: I use easyphp but they now charge for modules, so im gonna have to find a new one

I hear that vagrant is widely used esp for collaborative working. works well for my purposes though, I am just using one simple virtual box lamp environment.
There is Bitnami-Lamp (linux)
It's similar to XAMPP and you work in user home without problem