Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of Languages in GetSimple
I want to centralize the discussions we are having in various topics about how to handle languages and what we envision of the future in regards to GetSimple.

My vision of GetSimple is like that:

1. In the admin back-end I can see which languages are installed for GetSimple itself and for each plugin .
  2. For GetSimple itself and for each plugin I can click on a link "More languages" to see a list of available languages, select some, click Download and they are automatically downloaded and placed in the correct directory.
  3. I can view the translation texts of a language for GetSimple itself or a plugin and change them or create a new language
  4. I can upload the changed or newly created language to Extend
  5. Any visitor can see which languages are available for a specific plugin or GetSimple.

The current status for above vision is:

1. available only for GetSimple
  2. not available
  3. available with the Translate plugin
  4. not available
  5. available only for GetSimple

This vision requires
  • a standard to handle languages within plugins - this is available here
  • changes in Extend/Extend API (save languages for plugins, identify plugins by name, provide the language information by some web service)
  • changes in GetSimple ("more languages"-link, download functionality), however, this could also be handled by a plugin (though not so nicely integrated).
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.

Messages In This Thread
The Future of Languages in GetSimple - by mvlcek - 2011-03-27, 00:01:19
The Future of Languages in GetSimple - by Connie - 2011-03-27, 01:27:42
The Future of Languages in GetSimple - by ccagle8 - 2011-03-27, 03:10:44