Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extend the available tasks for pages in the pages list
polyfragmented Wrote:What's "confusing" about a few icons which depict what they're for and can additionally have the title attribute explain again what they're doing? We're currently having a hash glyph in the page list which doesn't depict at all what it's doing (view page), only hovering over it explains what is going on (sorry Chris, no offense). That's what I call confusing.

Icons are also confusing:
I know that n00dles101 is still working on the icons (so, no offence), but looking at the screen shot, I can identify the first one as edit and the last one probably as delete (although I don't really see why a read x on a paper is a good icon for deleting a page - I'd prefer just a red x as being much clearer) - a new user will also have to hover over the icon to get an explanation.

But that's not really what I want to say: the page list's main purpose is to provide a list of pages and allow you to select one for the purpose of editing - all other tasks like deleting and viewing can also be done from the edit view.

Currently the most prominent item in a line is the page title/link and naturally a user will look at them, find the correct one and click on it to do something - and that's what he wants to do!
If you have multiple colorful icons that's where a user automatically looks instead of on the titles, although they do not convey any real information, especially as they repeat for each line. It's like colorful ads distracting you from the real content.

And we should not forget that GetSimple is designed for small websites, where the user doesn't work with it every day. He will probably add a page or two every few weeks. It doesn't matter, if he has to do two or three clicks.

What I would like to see is a possibility to replace the default pages view with a different one from a plugin. E.g. I don't need the default one, because I use the I18N one - and seeing first the default one and then clicking on the I18N one is really one click too much ;-)
(and I don't want the user ask me: "where are my french translations" because he is looking on the default pages list instead of the I18N pages list - he should just see one list)

P.S.: If I would make the perfect pages list for power users I would probably
  • make the filter field visible all time and give it the default focus (like in the I18N plugin)
  • use a better symbol for the view icon, but in gray
  • add an additional options icon, also in gray
  • only on hovering over a line the icons of this line are changed to more colorful representations - but not too colorful
  • by moving the mouse over the options icon a (menu) box is displayed where you can turn on/off, if the page is private and in the menu, maybe even change the menu text, etc.

P.P.S.: When implementing the navigation tree manipulation page I thought about including it in the I18N pages list. But I think it would have been too much functionality in one page and too confusing. Besides when you are organizing the navigation you need to see the menu texts and not the page titles...
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.

Messages In This Thread
Extend the available tasks for pages in the pages list - by mvlcek - 2011-06-03, 05:15:56