Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature Roadmap etc Development Discussion
Sorry to join late.

Technical
MVC seems a pretty obvious and reasonable step to take. But what do you think about using a framework with some components that could potentially ease up the development?
How about a micro-framework like Swiftlet, that has the basics, and just the basics set up? It's got a neat hooking system thats quite similar with GS in terms of ease of use. Also it seems ridiculously easy to work with and to build upon it. I imagine that a lot of current code could be put into some modules or libraries working on top of Swiftlet.

Pages
I'm actually using this kind idea in my current project (with the help of this plugin). There are few page categories. Each category is a set of fields and has a pre-set position in the menu. Also, each category has an index/paginator parent page that displays all children (with or without pagination) with predefined or generic views. All done with current UI capabilities, so I don't think that the category adding/editing UI needs to be handled by third party plugins. Personally I don't think that's a good idea. IMHO it'd be better to have this one "official".

Themes
IMHO theme editor is not needed in a CMS interface. Responsibilities for webpage design and content management should be separate. I can't count how many times I got confused about what kind of data and structures need to be created with the CMS I was using and what has to be coded outside in one's editor of choice. Quite often in those situations the documentation is not helpful. Among many things that I really like in GS is a rather clear (comparing to other CMS's) separation between developer/theme designer and the end-user/content manager. It's simple, it works, and client doesn't call me to fix stuff that got messed because he/she edited some theme stuff that wasn't supposed to be messed with.

Components/Snippets
Never used them because reasons above.

Image Manipulation/Thumbnails
I'd like to have support for SVG images. In my projects I ninjahack in support for thumbnails and pic chooser.

Editing site settings, Content Editing, Bundled Plugins
I like that.

Currently the only feature that I miss the most in GS is a proper support for clean URLs. I haven't managed to get around to hack it in yet. Some thinking needs to be done how to implement it so it won't kill little kittens.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feature Roadmap etc Development Discussion - by Everyone - 2013-09-09, 07:30:59