Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
News Manager (updated)
I'm using this its outstanding!! thanks Carlos.

I have one issue that I'm hoping someone could elaborate on. I am using the <?php nm_list_recent(); ?> in a component and making it show in a sidebar

I recently switched on the custom permalink in settings to

%parents%/%slug%/

Now when you click on the list item it doesn't work -where before it had worked

This is what shows and I get a 400 error page.

%parents%/current-views/post/another-test

Any ideas?

Thanks!
(2013-09-26, 04:55:45)lnickel Wrote: I have one issue that I'm hoping someone could elaborate on. I am using the <?php nm_list_recent(); ?> in a component and making it show in a sidebar

%parents%/%slug%/

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Looks like News Manager (and probably other plugins) is not compatible with I18N's own new %parents% placeholder, because of the way it's done. I'll do some tests and prepare a patch. What plugin version are you using?

You say it happens with the sidebar recent posts lists. Can you confirm this issue also happens with posts in the main news page? (it happens to me)
(2013-09-26, 15:52:03)Carlos Wrote:
(2013-09-26, 04:55:45)lnickel Wrote: I have one issue that I'm hoping someone could elaborate on. I am using the <?php nm_list_recent(); ?> in a component and making it show in a sidebar

%parents%/%slug%/

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Looks like News Manager (and probably other plugins) is not compatible with I18N's own new %parents% placeholder, because of the way it's done. I'll do some tests and prepare a patch. What plugin version are you using?

You say it happens with the sidebar recent posts lists. Can you confirm this issue also happens with posts in the main news page? (it happens to me)

Right Carlos. It happens in both the excerpts (main page) and the recent lists in the sidebar.

I'm using News Manager Version 2.4.4

Along with I18N and the other I18N plugins (custom fields, special pages)

Its not imperative for me but I just to point that out Smile Thanks!
(2013-09-26, 17:36:55)lnickel Wrote: Right Carlos. It happens in both the excerpts (main page) and the recent lists in the sidebar.

I'm using News Manager Version 2.4.4

Along with I18N and the other I18N plugins (custom fields, special pages)

Its not imperative for me but I just to point that out Smile Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this incompatibility issue. If you need a patch don't bother to ask.

For now I think I'm not going to support I18N's %parents% placeholder in NM. I hope that GS itself will sometime support multilevel urls (I want to propose some changes when I've done some experiments myself), but if there's demand for this, I'll adapt NM (as I did for I18N's %language% and %nondefaultlanguage% placeholders)
Ok....I wont ask then thanks!

I have some multilevel urls (about 3 deep) but they are only off by one level right now. Not that big of a deal IMO other than that my site is using good SEO practices. Multilevel urls should be fully supported though in the future. Seems semantically correct. Now if I could only learn how to do that! i will be trying to learn more as I go

This is what you get when you push the system Smile

Thanks Carlos!!!
One last question. I have been scouring these threads and found one other person asking. How can we put meta keywords and descriptions in with this plugin? So every post has this like pages? Is this possible?

Thanks!!

Well I tried hacking at the NM plugin but the system didn't seem to recognize the KEYWORDS and META_DESC

hahaha! This is what makes me people learn and become versed in this stuff
NM currently uses the (GS) news page's meta description only for the main news page, not for posts (which, by the way, don't have a description field). I did it (since 2.4.0) to avoid duplicate descriptions.

As for meta keywords, both the main news page and single posts share the same ones - those defined in the GS page. I don't care much about this, given that google doesn't use them, but if some of you would like to have this, I could add some setting.
(2013-09-22, 05:00:10)TeeJay Wrote: I also want to ask you if you could include the dimensions filled in in the back-end to the "width" and "height" attributes of posts' images- it would be perfect. Smile

Nice idea. I think I'm going to allow enabling this with a layout setting, like
nm_set_image_option('sizeattr');
(2013-09-28, 01:27:31)Carlos Wrote: NM currently uses the (GS) news page's meta description only for the main news page, not for posts (which, by the way, don't have a description field). I did it (since 2.4.0) to avoid duplicate descriptions.

As for meta keywords, both the main news page and single posts share the same ones - those defined in the GS page. I don't care much about this, given that google doesn't use them, but if some of you would like to have this, I could add some setting.

Well then nevermind. Its all good.Smile
(2013-09-22, 05:00:10)TeeJay Wrote: I had little troubles comprehending all the settings at the first look and I think that if I haven't worked with NM before, I would have much more troubles. Furthermore, there are no articles used. I'm also not a native English speaker, but I think I can contribute a little.
[...]

I'll change those texts a bit, but I prefer using few articles, I think it's common in this kind of short sentences.

Instead of "Post images" or "Allow post images" as you suggest, I think I'll change it to "Enable post images".

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
(2013-09-22, 00:01:18)D.O. Wrote: then here is the CSS solution for showing date and author on the same line:

Glad you found an easy way.

(2013-09-22, 00:01:18)D.O. Wrote: Btw, I look forward the author support will be ready!

I'm adding optional post authors for the next beta (though you'll have to use gsconfig + components settings to enable this).

I am thinking about enclosing the author name between some html tags, so that they can be styled.
How about using <em> ?
Code:
<p class="nm_post_author">Author: <em>username</em></p>
(2013-09-28, 03:42:57)Carlos Wrote: I'm adding optional post authors for the next beta (though you'll have to use gsconfig + components settings to enable this).

I am thinking about enclosing the author name between some html tags, so that they can be styled.
How about using <em> ?
Code:
<p class="nm_post_author">Author: <em>username</em></p>

Why not, I want to emphasize that it's me who wrote a post. just give it a class like it were a span for easy removing "font-style: italic;" which most people use.
Tomáš Janeček - Multilingual personal website powered by GetSimple
» The little I did for GetSimple
Hi mates,
You know, I found with pleasure my CSS easy solutions for NM.
PHP Code:
<class="nm_post_author">Author: <em>username</em></p
Frankly would insert <span></span> instead of <em></em> but if you prefer to use it in this way, then the CSS code could be like this, e.g.:
PHP Code:
.nm_post_author em text-transformcapitalizecolorredfont-stylenormal; } 
Same thing for <b></b> in meta, e.g.:
PHP Code:
.nm_post_meta b text-transformcapitalizecapitalizecolorbluefont-weightlighter; } 
In the end, <em> is okay to me. That's all.
My website made with GetSimple CMS is

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

An indipendent website about Italian Contemporary Visual Arts
(2013-10-02, 16:38:55)D.O. Wrote: Hi mates,
You know, I found with pleasure my CSS easy solutions for NM.
PHP Code:
<class="nm_post_author">Author: <em>username</em></p
Frankly would insert <span></span> instead of <em></em> but if you prefer to use it in this way, then the CSS code could be like this, e.g.:
PHP Code:
.nm_post_author em text-transformcapitalizecolorredfont-stylenormal; } 
Same thing for <b></b> in meta, e.g.:
PHP Code:
.nm_post_meta b text-transformcapitalizecapitalizecolorbluefont-weightlighter; } 
In the end, <em> is okay to me. That's all.

span tag would be better. It's less presentational. You would have more ability to style.
@lnickel
I agree, as I said, I would insert span tag instead of tag em, but it doesn't depend only on me :-D

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

haha! I was only agreeing with you too D.O. Smile
Yes we agree and surely with our opinions we can influence the choice of the developer. Wink

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

I really don't mind as long as it can be styled. I just wanted to know if you prefer another tag instead of <em>.
I'll change it to <span>
Hi Carlos,
we already talked about it on the post number 488 and our decision was something like this..
PHP Code:
<class="nm_post_date">Posted on Sep 62013 <span class="nm_post_author">by Username</span></p
It is not important to me, but surely a new tag class like ".nm_post_author" can make things easier. So plz make a new tag.

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

I meant this:
PHP Code:
<class="nm_post_author">Author: <span>username</span></p
Oh sorry..! I got confused.
Yes, then a simple span tag is perfect as lnickel, Teejay and I want.

(2013-10-03, 03:12:44)Carlos Wrote: I meant this:
PHP Code:
<class="nm_post_author">Author: <span>username</span></p

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

(2013-10-02, 23:18:35)lnickel Wrote: span tag would be better. It's less presentational. You would have more ability to style.

That doesn't make sense - how could the <em> tag have more abilities than the <span> tag for styles?

There is no difference between the <span> and the <em> tags except that the <em> tag is a semantic tag, it means that this tag means something to search engines unlike the <span> tag (which means nothing at all, it's for styling purposes only).

The <em> tag also has { font-style: italic; } by default, but web developers usually reset all of the default styles to put all the browsers on the same level. That means that <em> gets { font-style: normal; } in the beginning of the CSS and then it's styled again to suit your needs.

By all of these, I just want to say that you can style <span> and <em> to look totally the same without any problems. However, I don't really care if there's emphasizing or just the span, it just doesn't matter. I would rather use <em> to emphasize my name on my blog posts, but I can change it after downloading anyway as I always do with headings.
I agree with TeeJay. Back to <em>

As for changing the default html tags for post titles, I'm thinking about adding an (advanced) setting for this, like markuptitle, that would allow to have e.g. <h3> as default, but <h1> for single post view.
SPAN tag is surely an "aseptic" way to highlight a line. EM tag, instead, highlights it in some way, it is, indeed, a semantic tag, as TJ said. It gives importance to the underlined phrase. But I think it's a matter of utility and taste and frankly according to me <span> or <em> is the same thing.

Arte & Società
www.artesocieta.eu

(2013-10-03, 15:39:48)Carlos Wrote: I agree with TeeJay. Back to <em>

As for changing the default html tags for post titles, I'm thinking about adding an (advanced) setting for this, like markuptitle, that would allow to have e.g. <h3> as default, but <h1> for single post view.

The problem with this is that you have to have a special template for the main news page to remove the heading "News" or whatever - and you just can't control that with your plugin.
See any post on my website, Mikroregionem Nechanicko na kole, all the posts have only one <h1>. If I didn't do a new template which hasn't the <h1> unlike the other GS pages (they have the main heading, of course), above every single post's <h1>, there would be also <h1>Články</h1>.
And as you know for sure, it's not really essential to have two <h1> tags following each other - so people will have to do a special template for News Manager, but it's not a big deal.

PS: Glad you don't mind to prefer <em>.