Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing the home page
Is there a simple way to change which page appears as the default home page? (i.e. which one is index.php)

The site in question only has three items in the top-level navigation with one of these pages as the home page but my client has decided she wants one of the other two pages to be the home page. Is there a way to do this without resorting to .htaccess or spending an afternoon copy-and-pasting page content around between pages?

Thanks
Where's the problem exactly ?
Index is default landing page. If you want to have other content on it, then copy->paste from other page.
Otherwise you have to forward incoming user to other pages.
Sicne GS uses mod rewrite:
DirectoryIndex default_page.extension reserve_page.extension
or do a 301 redirect
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:Where's the problem exactly ?
Index is default landing page. If you want to have other content on it, then copy->paste from other page.
Otherwise you have to forward incoming user to other pages.
Sicne GS uses mod rewrite:
DirectoryIndex default_page.extension reserve_page.extension
or do a 301 redirect

Thanks, I was really hoping not to have to resort to cutting and pasting as I am using custom sub-menu navigation, meaning that I would not only have to cut-and-paste the home page with it's replacement, but all the dozen or so sub-pages under each as well! Obviously I could have planned for this if my client had not been so adamant she would not need to alter the site structure a few months ago!
Will Wrote:Thanks, I was really hoping not to have to resort to cutting and pasting as I am using custom sub-menu navigation, meaning that I would not only have to cut-and-paste the home page with it's replacement, but all the dozen or so sub-pages under each as well! Obviously I could have planned for this if my client had not been so adamant she would not need to alter the site structure a few months ago!

If your navigation relies on the parent and priority settings of the pages, you might want to use the I18N plugin (http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/i18n/69/) to move the pages to another parent.

(But make a backup of your site first)
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Sorry Will - cutting and pasting is the only way to go in this instance. GS is meant to be extremely easy and non-confusing for the client (one homepage, you can't delete it, etc.) and hopefully powerful enough for the developer.

We try to get around these types of clashes by using configuration settings in gsconfig.php, but this is one instance right now that there isn't a work around that the developer can use.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!