Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Support for TinyMCE Plugin
This is the support topic for the TinyMCE plugin.

The plugin enables you to use the TinyMCE editor.

TinyMCE is a powerful WYSIWYG editor control for web browsers such as MSIE or Mozilla that enables the user to edit HTML content in a more user friendly way. TinyMCE is developed by Moxiecode Systems AB.
idefix4u Wrote:This is the support topic for the TinyMCE plugin.

The plugin enables you to use the TinyMCE editor.

TinyMCE is a powerful WYSIWYG editor control for web browsers such as MSIE or Mozilla that enables the user to edit HTML content in a more user friendly way. TinyMCE is developed by Moxiecode Systems AB.

Current version: 0.1-dev
Download: 0.1-dev

Wow.. If this works this is a great addition to getsimple!
I will try it out later today.
This seems like an interesting idea Smile

How is the plugin designed to work, though? When I installed it, all it seemed to do was remove the TinyMCE WYSWIG editor that existed on the Create Page and Edit Page pages without any added functionality. Is there a specific configuration necessary, or am I simply misusing it?
@idefix4u, please tell your reasons why GetSimple should use TinyMCE as editor instead of CKEditor before you throw this in the arena.

@Mikeh, why will this be a great Addon for GS?

@Angryboy,

Code:
all it seemed to do was remove the TinyMCE WYSWIG editor that existed on the Create Page and Edit Page pages

why do you mix CKeditor which comes with GS with TinyMCE?

I just don't get it.
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
there are people who are accustomed to one specific editor, always ask to attach it to other CMS.
I know the developers, which led to the creation of different plug-ins for each editor, and now are crying because many people, so many opinions. :-)
Connie Wrote:@idefix4u, please tell your reasons why GetSimple should use TinyMCE as editor instead of CKEditor before you throw this in the arena.

Choice. Something we treasure in Open Source.

It's a Good Thing and having a different editor available, especially as a plugin, gives us a choice. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. No-one is saying it should be included instead of CKEditor or that you must use it.

There are several plugins in Extend that I have no need of, nor can I see why they even exist. I simply don't use them.
--
Nick.
I know about freedom of choice and freedom in open source ;=)
and I know about the fallbacks as well:

The problem which I encountered very often is that users do not know which editor is used, so the support is very difficult

you see this in Angryboy's answer:
Quote:all it seemed to do was remove the TinyMCE WYSWIG editor that existed on the Create Page and Edit Page

in GS 3.0 is no TinyMCE included, so is he talking about GS 2.0.3 or is he mixing editorsß

so: without knowing exactly which GS Version is in use and which editor is active, support will be a pain in the ass
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Angryboy Wrote:This seems like an interesting idea Smile

How is the plugin designed to work, though? When I installed it, all it seemed to do was remove the TinyMCE WYSWIG editor that existed on the Create Page and Edit Page pages without any added functionality. Is there a specific configuration necessary, or am I simply misusing it?

The TinyMCE is supposed to be active *instead* of FCKEditor, if (1) you have checked the 'Enable HTML Editor' setting and (2) plugin is enabled.

If you lost all WYSWIG functionalitity if the plugin is supposed to be active, the plugin isn't working properly.
Could be several reasons, like htaccess, other interfering plugins, javascript errors. If you are able to provide more information somehow (private message will do), it will help solving your issues.
Disabling the plugin will enable the default (FCKEditor) editor again.
Connie Wrote:@idefix4u, please tell your reasons why GetSimple should use TinyMCE as editor instead of CKEditor before you throw this in the arena.

The reason I made this plugin is simple: I prefer using TinyMCE instead of FCKEditor.

I don't think this topic is the appropriate place for discussing why TinyMCE instead of FCKEditor, and vice versa.
It's a matter of preference, or used to, or whatever. I thought other people might want to use it too, and because it is possible to provide this within a plugin (and thus optional) way, I decided to share this.

A few notes on topic:
- The editor has a help button (enabled by default) to know (1) which editor is used and (2) which version
- I added an own image filebrowser plugin to TinyMCE (imagex) for inserting uploaded images
Quote:@Mikeh, why will this be a great Addon for GS?

There are people out there who like TinyMCE... I am sure you are aware of this.

It would be great if they can easily choose which one they would like.
mikeh Wrote:There are people out there who like TinyMCE... I am sure you are aware of this.

It would be great if they can easily choose which one they would like.

I agree that there are people that like one editor better than another.

However, there are plugins like I18N Custom Fields and some News plugins who rely on the fact that there is the CKEditor available and they even try their best to display the same toolbars like on the edit page view.

So if you use another editor, be aware that if you use some plugins you will then have two different editors, which in my opinion is worse than having one editor which is not my favorite, but does everything it needs to do and most of what it should do.

Keep in mind that GetSimple is a simple CMS and is not supposed to do everything anybody would like it to do.

In any case, as long as everybody knows the limitations, it's good to have the choice. Nice work, idefix4u!
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:However, there are plugins like I18N Custom Fields and some News plugins who rely on the fact that there is the CKEditor available and they even try their best to display the same toolbars like on the edit page view.
Good point. I didn't test it with other plugins (as I currently don't use them), but I'll try to take them into account if possible, or at least state it in readme/installation instructions whatever. Maybe I'll add some checks or I can add some compatibility. It's still a 0.1-dev version tho.

mvlcek Wrote:So if you use another editor, be aware that if you use some plugins you will then have two different editors, which in my opinion is worse than having one editor which is not my favorite, but does everything it needs to do and most of what it should do.
Agree.
In regards of discussion about ckedit vs tinymce, this thread should explain everything
http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/1545/...s-tinymce/

idefix4u: I'm looking forward to see your plugin fully working, and compatible with mostly used plugins (all Mvlacek's plugs, news managers , etc).

I dropped my work on it due to lack of time. But if you provide a bug_free plug I can make a small change of it's skin to be more GS friendly. I had it once, but ... it magically disappeared :/

Btw. Could you prepare your plugin, allowing additional wysiwyg editors to be used ?
I've found
http://elrte.org/
and I'm thinking about doing some tests with its usability and output code.
There's as well http://elrte.org/elfinder
but I'd have to look how ckfinder was integrated by Noodles, and see someday how it works with GS.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
I have just tried this plugin in a fresh GS 3.0 installation.
Didn't work, no WYSIWYG editor.

After some testing I have made it work by:

- editing TinyMCEPlugin\.htaccess , changing "Deny from all" to "Allow from all"
- making sure GS debug mode is off (a notice breaks some javascript code)
Carlos Wrote:- making sure GS debug mode is off (a notice breaks some javascript code)
Confirmed. Will fix it in next version.

Carlos Wrote:- editing TinyMCEPlugin\.htaccess , changing "Deny from all" to "Allow from all"
Can't reproduce, as this seemed to have no effect on my environment.
Can you recheck this again by having debug mode disabled and changing .htaccess?
Or can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks for reporting.
yojoe Wrote:Btw. Could you prepare your plugin, allowing additional wysiwyg editors to be used ?

I rather go for seperate plugins.

In my opinion, it's fairly easily to adapt my plugin for another editor.
I tried it with the elRTE plugin, and seems to work pretty out of the box on first sight.
Who knows Smile
idefix4u Wrote:
Carlos Wrote:- editing TinyMCEPlugin\.htaccess , changing "Deny from all" to "Allow from all"
Can't reproduce, as this seemed to have no effect on my environment.
Can you recheck this again by having debug mode disabled and changing .htaccess?
Or can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks for reporting.
I can confirm that this was the problem for me at least.
Author of GetSimple 3's Finnish Language file — http://get-simple.info/extend/language/f...guage/106/
Uploaded version 0.2 of the plugin to the extend repository.

Changelog:
+ Auto adding toolbar buttons of editor plugins
o Improved compatibility with other GS plugins (+configurable)
o Improved compatibility with GS debug setting
o Removed .htaccess (seemed to cause problems)
o Other minor fixes

Note:
I think I accidently replaced it the version instead of adding, sorry about that.
On the other side, this version is recommended anyway. Wink
Same problem with 0.2
There should be an .htaccess file containing "Allow from all".

You could put it in the TinyMCEPlugin folder or, better, in TinyMCEPlugin/tinymce (which contains the js files that cannot be loaded)
Carlos Wrote:Same problem with 0.2

You could put it in the TinyMCEPlugin folder or, better, in TinyMCEPlugin/tinymce (which contains the js files that cannot be loaded)

Ah, I misinterpreted the problem. Hard to fix if you can't reproduce the problem.
Will fix it in the next version. Thanks!
Carlos Wrote:Same problem with 0.2

Yes, that did it for me as well. Works now. Thanks idefix4u! I'll try that editor for now.
there is absolutely no readme - info with the plugin which is bad

I tried to install the plugin just like any other plugins but couldn't get it to work
I do not think it is appropriate for installing plugins to edit .htaccess files

When your actual language is not english, you get no real text, there is no fallback to english language when proper language file is missing

so I think this plugin (beside the possible collisions with other plugins) needs some polishing

you promised to fix the problem with .htaccess in April, today is july, can you please update?

Cheers, Connie
|--

Connie Wrote:there is absolutely no readme - info with the plugin which is bad
Agree. Will add it in the next version (continue reading).

Connie Wrote:I do not think it is appropriate for installing plugins to edit .htaccess files
It's not required for install, just for usage (meaning editing with TinyMCE).
The .htaccess file needs to be in the plugin folder, just like Carlos replied, and should have been provided in the package of 0.2.
The plugin does not edit, it requires overriding access, because of the javascript files. I think this is an acceptable way of doing is, keeping the plugin as seperated as possible.

Connie Wrote:When your actual language is not english, you get no real text, there is no fallback to english language when proper language file is missing
Thanks for reporting. I had no issues however before I released it, and there is a fallback mechanism.
I'll try to test it more intensivly and fix if needed. Did any else experience this?

Connie Wrote:you promised to fix the problem with .htaccess in April, today is july, can you please update?
I promised to fix it in the next version. As there were no other bugs/features requests/issues/whatsoever reported (except .htaccess - workaround already described here) on this topic/pm/mail, I did not have the urge to release a new version.
Hi idefix4u,

I am interested in the changes, thanks for replying!

Cheers, Connie
|--

Finally got a little time to update to version 0.2.1.
In this minor update, I've added the missing .htaccess for the JavaScript files to let the editor work properly.

Other stuff (readme, bugfixes, more?) will be in version 0.3