Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display a list of sub-pages (listing of articles in a category)
tazmandev Wrote:I need to create a simple website with a few main pages (top level pages) and subpages for them.

Something like Category (top level page) -> Products or Services (sub pages)

In the top level page I need to display a list of the subpages in a fashionable way, each list item having:

1. Thumbnail for the subpage (product or service)
2. Title of subpage
2. Excerpt of the subpage
3. Read more link

The subpage will be a regular second level page.

Possible solution with plugins I18N, I18N Custom Fields, I18N Search and DynPages:
  1. Use the I18N Custom Fields plugin for thumbnail (image field) and excerpt (text or WYSIWYG field)
  2. Create each top level page and put {% search category %} on it (category different for each top page - component search see below - uses DynPages)
  3. Create the subpages with parent = top level page, tags = category and a slug name which can be sorted in the order you want the products to be sorted. Use a template product.php (see below)
  4. Create a template product.php which displays the product image (using I18N Custom Fields) and the content of the page instead of the content only
  5. Create a component search which gets the argument (the category), uses return_i18n_search_results (I18N Search) to get all products for this category sorted by url and then displays the results in a custom way with image and excerpt - involves reading the page XMLs to get this information.
  6. Use I18N plugin to display the navigation
Steps 2+5 will be greatly simplified with the next major version of the I18N Search plugin.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.

Messages In This Thread
Display a list of sub-pages (listing of articles in a category) - by mvlcek - 2011-06-08, 05:22:29