Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extend confuses 'FAQ' and 'FAQ Manager' plugins
Not sure where this should go, or if it's a problem with Extend or one or other of the subject plugins.

Previously mentioned in here.

I have mvlcek's 'FAQ' plugin installed, but the entry in the site admin Plugin Management page is titled 'FAQ Manager' and the link is pointing to mikeh's 'FAQ Manager' in Extend. As there is a version difference, the update alarm is showing and I am offered an update to a different plugin.

I have verified that the plugin file faq.php is correct (mvlcek's version).
--
Nick.
(2012-12-11, 22:06:50)hameau Wrote: Not sure where this should go, or if it's a problem with Extend or one or other of the subject plugins.

Previously mentioned in here.

I have mvlcek's 'FAQ' plugin installed, but the entry in the site admin Plugin Management page is titled 'FAQ Manager' and the link is pointing to mikeh's 'FAQ Manager' in Extend. As there is a version difference, the update alarm is showing and I am offered an update to a different plugin.

I have verified that the plugin file faq.php is correct (mvlcek's version).

I've sent a PM to mikeh to change his plugin's php file name. For the API the name has to be unique, but it is not enforced.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
We need to enforce plugin s names, people should not be using generic plugin or filenames or function names.
ALWAYS PREPEND YOUR STUFF WITH AN ID.

There are several of these I noticed.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
While your argument for unique filenames is valid, surely the issue is with Extend (or GS?) apparently identifying a plugin by a component file's name, rather than its declared plugin name?

In my case, I have never installed FAQ Manager in this GS, yet its name – not contained anywhere in this GS installation* – is shown in the Plugin Management page. Spooky.

(* except in one of the data/cache files, presumably the cache of update-available plugins?)
--
Nick.
There is no other way to identify a plugin. Declared plugin names are registered by the plugin, we cannot register plugins when they are disabled.

Other solutions are to make plugins a pain to create, by making them 2 files or wrapping them in classes or functions.

Rather people should just name their plugin the registered name. Its not really that hard and its pretty common sense that someone else will use the same generic name s yours if you chose to use a generic name.
Maybe we could put a notice in Extend on the page they use to upload their plugins or themes?
"Please Use a Unique File Name for your Plugin or Theme!"
It should be in the wiki guide if not already.
(2012-12-14, 04:06:40)shawn_a Wrote: It should be in the wiki guide if not already.

My opinions:

An extra reminder in the plugin upload dialog would be welcome.
Including a couple of links to relevant wiki sections, including info about the right one file, one folder "rule" and other.

There is a link in the Extend: Viewing your files -section:

http://get-simple.info/extend/admin//files.php

To an About Extend page:

http://get-simple.info/extend-repository/

Reminder should be at least at that page.
Extend guidelines and API info or link should be in the plugin upload dialog as well.

An other thing about Extend:

Wouldn't it by better if the old plugins (made for version 2, or by date) are in a different section in Extend. Also a warning this plugin isn't updated in 2 years or something would be welcome.
Well it should be filtered by version, but thats on the roadmap already.