Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loop Pb not fixed
Ryan, that's a question we are all trying to figure out right now. Thanks for posting what worked for you.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Thanks for the response Chris. You've got a really great idea with GetSimple. Other CMSs are so bloated, that each module has it's own complicated work flow atrophied by version hacks. I'm excited to work with this product, and wish you the best of luck.

My LAMP experience is not comprehensive, so please ignore any naivety.

Could we put permissions on /admin that would prompt for x credentials permissions?
If all writing is happening from /admin to /data and a "GetSimple" admin also has x credentials, how would that change things?

The only thing that requires write permissions is content editing right?
So for the time being, if I used GS on public web, could I just set to 0655 and not expect to edit content?

-Ryan
I am pretty sure that everything is coming down to the file owners. Ryan, is this shared hosting or do you have root access to the server?
------
I can't design for shit but I can code the shit out of your design
I'm serving locally @ Listen 127.0.0.1:80 in paths for secure development.

Clean Apache and PHP install, no other framework instances.

I've gotten GS to work/edit (after installing with 0777):

chmod -R 0555 /GetSimple
chmod -R 0655 /GetSimple/data
chmod -R 0655 /GetSimple/backups

NEW ISSUE 1.
After changing permissions, and reseting browser session I get an error submitting any content changes. However, the data changes are still made! Error below merely says it had an issue processing the backup request.

<error>
Warning: copy(../../backups/pages/approach.bak.xml) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/GetSimple/admin/inc/changedata.php on line 90

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/GetSimple/admin/inc/changedata.php:90) in /var/www/GetSimple/admin/inc/changedata.php on line 119
</error>

NEW ISSUE 2.
After changing permissions, and reseting browser session I can't delete pages, but the little alert box says "X page deleted - undo?", even though the page still exists.

Inquiry.
What are the permission models like for other WCM's that read/write xml, or that store encrypted user data in 'somewhat unsecure' flat-files?

-Ryan
Im not sure what other XML based CMS's do for their CHMODing. I will have to look into this.

If the changes are made,but you still get your "bak" error messages it's probably that the page can be saved, but the backup copy failed - thus only causing problems when you want to perform an "undo" operation.
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
ccagle8 Wrote:Im not sure what other XML based CMS's do for their CHMODing. I will have to look into this.
There are "other" XML based CMS's??? Really? I thought Fluid was the only one and that was gone now. I've seen other flat file CMS's that store plain text, but not XML... I'd be interested in seeing other ones too. Tongue
Ryan: is this an Ubuntu server? MAMP?

I ask because I am trying to recreate these problems.
------
I can't design for shit but I can code the shit out of your design
Ubuntu Desktop 9.04 x64

Used apt-get to install apache2 and php5

paths 127.0.0.1:80

-Ryan
I had the same problem on a cPanel account.. run smooth on a custom panel with chrooted environment, so it HAS to be about CHMOD...
Okay, this is really weird. I have two local servers -- one on my vista laptop (xampp on a stick, configured for localhost) and one on my desktop XP box that is configured for web access through DYNDNS. I do that so my clients can see the site during production and testing.

As with the Vista machine, I had to comment out the offending function for curl to fix the blank install page. This time, though, I also got the loopback instead of the login. As stated by others, it was clear that the problem was that the xml files weren't being created. Since I already had a working version on my laptop, I copied over the files in inc/other and inc/pages and edited the files as needed. The site now functions perfectly! I still have some design work to do for navigation, but for the most part it's done.

I hope that helps others until the fix is in.

Heather Feuerhelm
http://www.uniquelyyourshosting.com
Heather Feuerhelm
Uniquely Yours Business Services
Virtual Business Services
Web Design and Hosting
heather, and you were able to create and edit pages as well after this?
- Chris

Huh. I think I spoke glowingly a little too soon... create pages, yes; edit pages? I get the following error:
Code:
Warning: copy(../../backups/pages/index.bak.xml) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in E:\Websites\SuzanneFried\html\admin\inc\changedata.php on line 90

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at E:\Websites\SuzanneFried\html\admin\inc\changedata.php:90) in E:\Websites\SuzanneFried\html\admin\inc\changedata.php on line 119
Heather Feuerhelm
Web Design and Hosting
However... when I manually created a "pages" folder under backups, it worked fine. So yes, at this point I can both create and edit pages. An interesting sidenote is that even though the OS is Windows and in this configuration all files should be writable, they are not. I had to go into properties and clear the read-only box.
Heather Feuerhelm
Web Design and Hosting
I just upgraded to 1.6 on another vhost and didn't have the loopback problem. Thanks for the fix!
Heather Feuerhelm
Web Design and Hosting
Great! You can look at the chmodding loop I created in install.php to try and reconcile this problem.
- Chris

Actually, if you noted my reply on another topic, I was able to install cURL on my XAMPP server, so when I installed 6.1 this time there were absolutely no issues at all!

Thanks again...

Heather Feuerhelm
Heather Feuerhelm
Web Design and Hosting
oh, ok... i've implemented a timeout on the curl function in the next release (which is hopefully the last of the bug-fix releases) i the timeout might have fixed this too...
- Chris