Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with file permissions when editing pages
I've just decided to move to a host. I've got everything working, except the page editing. I get a screen with this message:

Warning: copy([private]/backups/pages/information.bak.xml) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [private]/admin/changedata.php on line 133

Warning: unlink(/usr/www/users/ryochan/canecreekcanyon.org/data/other/i18n_menu_cache.xml) [function.unlink]: Permission denied in [private]/plugins/i18n_navigation/backend.class.php on line 16

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::asXML([private]/data/other/pages.xml) [simplexmlelement.asxml]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [private]/admin/inc/caching_functions.php on line 315
Error: Headers already sent in [private]/admin/changedata.php on line 133 If your browser does not redirect you, click here

I've been just trying to get rid of the first one to start with, but help with the others would be greatly appreciated. When I click the redirect link, my changes aren't saved.

All of the file permissions in backups (including subdirectories) are 755. I've discovered that line 133 is the copy() php function designed to create backups, so I'm guessing that the function does not copy permissions with it. Are there any known fixes? I've searched this for a while, can't find anything so far.

Also, FYI, I'm using an FTP client to upload to the server, if that has anything to do with it. I'm setting the permissions using FTP.
Did you just move (upload) your working site to the new location, or did you install GS in your new host before uploading your site's files?
http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation:migrating

Had you already tested GS in your new host with a fresh install?
(2014-07-18, 00:10:05)Carlos Wrote: Did you just move (upload) your working site to the new location, or did you install GS in your new host before uploading your site's files?
http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation:migrating

Had you already tested GS in your new host with a fresh install?
I did just copy over everything, but that is because I get all of this crap when I try to install from scratch (Warning-- Quite long):
Code:
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 44

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 48

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 44

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/cache/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 48

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/cache/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 56

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/other/logs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 57

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 59

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/other/logs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 60

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/uploads/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/uploads/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/thumbs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/thumbs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/zip/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/zip/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 56

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/users/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 57

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 59

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/backups/users/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 60

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/users/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 45

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/users/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 49

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/pages/autosave/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 57

Warning: copy(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/pages/autosave/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/install.php on line 60
Unable to continue: Unable to write the configuration file. CHMOD 755 or 777 the /data, /backups folders & sub-folders and retry.
GetSimple Installation

Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/[private]/data/cache/e95aa6f492bb1942f1948e324f3f7165.txt) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/inc/template_functions.php on line 1019

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/[private]/admin/inc/template_functions.php on line 1020
Any ideas? This was from a fresh install uploading the files from the ZIP to the FTP server. Obviously not working. All the permissions are 755.
Hi,
If the host has a cpanel, it's better upload the files from cpanel; There are some cpanel that can unzip directly in you space ftp.

Other times, in some hosts that have a lot of security there are problems with the owner of files. When upload a files with ftp client the owner of file is the ftp. The files of a web normally the owner is www-data, If the host checks that the owner is different then problems.... above all for files have to be modified like /data, /backup, /theme....

Regards.
(2014-07-18, 03:44:47)cumbe Wrote: Hi,
If the host has a cpanel, it's better upload the files from cpanel; There are some cpanel that can unzip directly in you space ftp.

Other times, in some hosts that have a lot of security there are problems with the owner of files. When upload a files with ftp client the owner of file is the ftp. The files of a web normally the owner is www-data, If the host checks that the owner is different then problems.... above all for files have to be modified like /data, /backup, /theme....

Regards.
This is a private host, so I don't have CPanel. I'm guessing the second is what is going on.. I'll contact the host.

Is there any way for me to fix this?
Looks like it does have to do with the host, they're helping me sort it out. Thanks for all your help, though!
Can you chown the files to the same user as php?
Or bump your perms to 775 777
Also make sure you use the admin FTP account not some other one you created.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Wordpress has excellent documentation on permissions
http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions
Oh and never leave those perms at 777 just to test the concept that php is not same owner as dirs and is actually the problem