Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteer plugin
I've just uploaded the first version of Volunteer, a plugin that allows hundreds of volunteers to register and subscribe to events. I coudn't find anything that did this, so I wrote my own.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/volunteer/729/

Philip

EDIT:
This plugin was written using PHP 5.4.4 with the PDO/Sqlite3 extensions.
It may work with other versions, at this stage I haven't tested on all possible platforms, so I am interested in your feedback.
I looked at the demo. It could be really useful, and not only for volunteering. I will try the plugin in the week.
Ive just downloaded it and took a look at it.
I have a question: whats with all the PDO queries in the plugin?
the plugin uses sqlite3 database via the Sqlite PDO driver
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-sqlite.php

edit:
Managing hundreds (or thousands) of contacts is IMHO beyond the scope of xml
and sqlite3 is a nice fit as it's a simple embedded DB well supported.
Other databases could be supported in the future.

(2013-11-03, 21:54:57)Kolyok Wrote: Ive just downloaded it and took a look at it.
Well it wasn't mentioned here on the topic so thats why i asked but after i noticed on the demo site. Thanks for the answer though. Gonna test it soon Smile
(2013-11-03, 22:28:40)olmy Wrote: the plugin uses sqlite3 database via the Sqlite PDO driver
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-sqlite.php

edit:
Managing hundreds (or thousands) of contacts is IMHO beyond the scope of xml
and sqlite3 is a nice fit as it's a simple embedded DB well supported.
Other databases could be supported in the future.

(2013-11-03, 21:54:57)Kolyok Wrote: Ive just downloaded it and took a look at it.
Small info: The plugin is conflicting with i18n_navigation (check the header redirects)
Happens on Add New Page, Login/Logout on frontend.
thanks for the feedback, I'll check

(2013-11-03, 23:36:38)Kolyok Wrote: Small info: The plugin is conflicting with i18n_navigation (check the header redirects)
Happens on Add New Page, Login/Logout on frontend.
tested with clean gs install and i18n plugin, I don't see a problem. Will continue to check.
Ahh i forgot to mention this happens on latest beta version. (everything seems to work fine on GS 3.2.3)
You might want to check the beta installation + i18n + volunteer too.
I installed the plugin and it works except after login I get:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user/public_html/site/theme/template/template.php:15) in /home/user/public_html/site/plugins/volunteer.php on line 245

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /home/user/public_html/site/plugins/volunteer.php on line 381

If I refresh my login/profile page showing the above error, it then displays fine. Further visit/refreshes to the profile page (while logged in) also work fine.

If I log-out (disconnect), I get this error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user/public_html/site/theme/template/template.php:15) in /home/user/public_html/site/plugins/volunteer.php on line 172

As before, if I refresh the page, there's no error. So the errors occur on page build after login or logout.

Any thoughts please?
Heart 
Thanks for testing - what theme are you using? plugins?

(2013-11-04, 06:26:41)davetest Wrote: I installed the plugin and it works except after login I get:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user/public_html/site/theme/template/template.php:15) in /home/user/public_html/site/plugins/volunteer.php on line 245

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /home/user/public_html/site/plugins/volunteer.php on line 381

If I refresh my login/profile page showing the above error, it then displays fine. Further visit/refreshes to the profile page (while logged in) also work fine.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user/public_html/site/theme/template/template.php:15) in /home/user/public_html/site/plugins/volunteer.php on line 172

As before, if I refresh the page, there's no error. So the errors occur on page build after login or logout.

Any thoughts please?
ah - I think I've found it, will check in new version tomorrow

(2013-11-04, 08:01:15)olmy Wrote: Thanks for testing - what theme are you using? plugins?

(2013-11-04, 06:26:41)davetest Wrote: I installed the plugin and it works except after login I get:

Any thoughts please?
I've tried all my own themes and also standard instals of Innovation and Cardinal, they all throw the errors. I've just noticed that new registrations complete ok without error, but profile updates do throw errors (but data does update correctly).

A great plugin!

(2013-11-04, 08:07:55)olmy Wrote: ah - I think I've found it, will check in new version tomorrow

(2013-11-04, 08:01:15)olmy Wrote: Thanks for testing - what theme are you using? plugins?

Any thoughts please?
I've uploaded version 0.3

corrections:
- unset debugging reporting & display (doh!)
- removed erroneous spaces in $_SERVER vars
- added ini_set('output_buffering','On');
Hi @olmy
I've uploaded v0.3 and now don't get any errors on login or logout. But after login the page only rebuilds down as far as the start of content area and nothing below is visible and after logout all page content is visible except for the login form. After a refresh it works ok.

ps. I'm using [vl_connect] and [vl_profile] in the same page.

(2013-11-04, 18:35:22)olmy Wrote: I've uploaded version 0.3

corrections:
- added ini_set('output_buffering','On');
Hi Dave,

I've uploaded another upgrade
can you test with all contact tags in the same page?

[vl_user]
[vl_connect]
[vl_register]
[vl_profile]

I'm thinking that these tags should become a single tag in the future.
Philip

(2013-11-04, 18:54:38)davetest Wrote: Hi @olmy
I've uploaded v0.3 and now don't get any errors on login or logout. But after login the page only rebuilds down as far as the start of content area and nothing below is visible and after logout all page content is visible except for the login form. After a refresh it works ok.

ps. I'm using [vl_connect] and [vl_profile] in the same page.

(2013-11-04, 18:35:22)olmy Wrote: I've uploaded version 0.3

corrections:
-added ob_start()
Hi Philip

I still have the same problem with latest version. I've uploaded a clean install for you to play with if you want and will PM login details.

Thanks

(2013-11-04, 19:17:53)olmy Wrote: Hi Dave,

I've uploaded another upgrade
can you test with all contact tags in the same page?

[vl_user]
[vl_connect]
[vl_register]
[vl_profile]

I'm thinking that these tags should become a single tag in the future.
Philip
Very interesting.

On your testing site: http://volunteer.pawdata.com/gs/

it says in the sidebar:

requirements: PHP 5.4 and PDO_SQLITE

In your plugin description over here: http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/volunteer/729/

,PHP 5.4 is not mentioned. If this is a requirement, can you add it to the plugin description (and in this topic)?
Yes, of course, I'll do so.

The reason is simply that I have developed this plugin on this platform, which also guided my choice of PDO/Sqlite3.

Thanks for your feedback!

(2013-11-05, 05:17:41)datiswous Wrote: Very interesting.

On your testing site: http://volunteer.pawdata.com/gs/

it says in the sidebar:

requirements: PHP 5.4 and PDO_SQLITE

In your plugin description over here: http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/volunteer/729/

,PHP 5.4 is not mentioned. If this is a requirement, can you add it to the plugin description (and in this topic)?
Hi Philip

Thanks for your help, I'm up and running with a great new plugin.

Two requests:

1. Would it be possible for user to choose his own password. Either at sign-up or later from profile?

2. Is it possible to mod to add another field to sign-up to use the plugin for a quiz so that user can enter his answer at sign up?

But even if the above is not possible, this is a very worthwhile plugin.

Thanks again

(2013-11-04, 20:59:25)davetest Wrote: Hi Philip

I still have the same problem with latest version. I've uploaded a clean install for you to play with if you want and will PM login details.

Thanks
1) I did this on purpose to stop people from using passwordss like 'abc123'
2) Yes, that's interesting. It could be an option. I'll add it to the TODO.

Thanks again for your feedback!

(2013-11-05, 07:51:17)davetest Wrote: Hi Philip

Thanks for your help, I'm up and running with a great new plugin.

Two requests:

1. Would it be possible for user to choose his own password. Either at sign-up or later from profile?

2. Is it possible to mod to add another field to sign-up to use the plugin for a quiz so that user can enter his answer at sign up?

But even if the above is not possible, this is a very worthwhile plugin.

Thanks again

(2013-11-04, 20:59:25)davetest Wrote: Hi Philip

Thanks
another update - 0.4.4
- failed connections are logged in data/other/volunteer/login_fail.log
- sql delete, insert and update protected against sql inject attacks
Ack, fixed stupid typo...

(2013-11-06, 03:42:25)olmy Wrote: another update - 0.4.4
- failed connections are logged in data/other/volunteer/login_fail.log
- sql delete, insert and update protected against sql inject attacks
version 0.4.6
- added datetimepicker for events
- added debug option in volunteer.php
- only display volunteer email in event view if first or last name missing

please delete data/other/volunteer/volunteer.db before upgrading
as this version has database structure changes.

Apologies for the many upgrades this week, but things are smoothing out.
Version 0.4.6 is working well for me in GS3.2.3 in php5.3.22.
Thanks again for your plugin.