Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GS Blog v1.4
IMPORTANT

This thread is for older versions of the GS Blog Plugin which are no longer updated and maintained. Please also look at the

GS Blog Version 1.4
Click Here To Download
View GitHub Repos.

Outline Of Plugin:
  • Create blog posts
  • Blog categories
  • Post archives
  • Recent posts
  • Blog post Tags
  • Search box
  • RSS importer
  • Automatic RSS feed generator (created each time a post is created or edited & includes dynamic version - Validated RSS)
  • RSS feed for each category
  • External comments support (Disqus)
  • Ability to place ads in multiple different areas
  • ShareThis integration
  • AddThis integration
  • Blog post thumbnails
  • Pretty URL support
  • Manage Custom Fields

To enable Disqus Comments:
  • Signup for a Disqus account
  • Choose a Disqus shortname
  • Enable comments in the blog plugin settings page
  • Add shortname to the Disqus Shortname field in the blog plugin settings page
Screenshots

Manage Posts
[Image: manage_posts.jpg]

Create/Edit Posts
[Image: edit_post.jpg]

Manage Categories
[Image: category.jpg]

Manage RSS Feed Importer Screenshot

Settings Screenshot

RSS Feed Importer Screenshot

Manage Custom Fields Screenshot

Help Screenshot
Version 1.1 Will Provide
  • Post Thumbnail support.
    Provide the option to upload (or choose already uploaded image) as a thumbnail for a post. The thumbnail would appear in the results if defined on the settings page

• Pretty URLS Fixed
  • External Commenting support
    Will add support for disqus. Eventually will offer custom, integrated solution using a database (no in 1.1)

I apologize for my English.
Install the plugin, configured it.
For testing I needed to copy the page code:
Display blog categoriesBelow is your blogs RSS feed:
<?php show_blog_categories(); ?>

Display blog search bar:
<?php show_blog_search(); ?>

Display blog archives:
<?php show_blog_archives(); ?>

Show your blogs most recent posts:
<?php show_blog_recent_posts(); ?>
The result you can see for yourself. News is not displayed. What is the problem?
zoorgan Wrote:I apologize for my English.
Install the plugin, configured it.
For testing I needed to copy the page code:
Display blog categoriesBelow is your blogs RSS feed:
<?php show_blog_categories(); ?>

Display blog search bar:
<?php show_blog_search(); ?>

Display blog archives:
<?php show_blog_archives(); ?>

Show your blogs most recent posts:
<?php show_blog_recent_posts(); ?>
The result you can see for yourself. News is not displayed. What is the problem?
http://lv-dev.tk/smi

You must choose the page to display the blog posts on the gs blog-> settings page.
I believe that is your problem.
http://gyazo.com/ce92818cef874a5f1153773...1337099997
page is selected
zoorgan Wrote:http://gyazo.com/ce92818cef874a5f1153773...1337099997
page is selected

The template must have the <?php get_page_content(); ?> function. Can you confirm that is in place?
http://gyazo.com/9ff7711e10d0cf88f9d70f9...1337100290
mikeh Wrote:
zoorgan Wrote:http://gyazo.com/ce92818cef874a5f1153773...1337099997
page is selected

The template must have the <?php get_page_content(); ?> function. Can you confirm that is in place?

I think this is active on all pages, looks like the page slug code is hardcoded to index in
blog_display_posts
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Thank you shawn! I can't believe I left that in there. It has been fixed in repo and extend.

@zoorgan update the plugin from extend.
Thank you very much.
Mikeh, I got to say, I LOVE what you do Big Grin

On to my question, I just started using this cms today so I don't know much, is there a php code to show the date stamp of individual posts?
CrimsonDemon Wrote:Mikeh, I got to say, I LOVE what you do Big Grin

On to my question, I just started using this cms today so I don't know much, is there a php code to show the date stamp of individual posts?

You would have to modify the core a bit. Edit the show_blog_post() function
* to get the date it would be <?php echo $post->date; ?>

I will include a switch in version 1.1 to display date.
mikeh Wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! Tried it and it works, yay Big Grin

Any idea how to change the date format though?
Mike: I haven't tried your plugin yet, but I've got some questions about its functionalities:
1. is it possible to have 2 (and more) news containers on one page with different setup ?
f.e. last 5 news with thumbnail and excerpt, headers of latest 10 announcements, and so on.

2. is the content created by your plugin searchable using i18n_search ?
Does it offer tagging and categorizing news with tags ?

3.The more, is it compatible with all Martin's plugins ?
Or it's more a standalone solution, like newsmanager plugin ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
CrimsonDemon Wrote:
mikeh Wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! Tried it and it works, yay Big Grin

Any idea how to change the date format though?
Try somthing like this:
Code:
<?php $variable = get_locale_date(strtotime($post->date), '%b %e, %Y'); echo $variable; ?>
yojoe Wrote:Mike: I haven't tried your plugin yet, but I've got some questions about its functionalities:
1. is it possible to have 2 (and more) news containers on one page with different setup ?
f.e. last 5 news with thumbnail and excerpt, headers of latest 10 announcements, and so on.

2. is the content created by your plugin searchable using i18n_search ?
Does it offer tagging and categorizing news with tags ?

3.The more, is it compatible with all Martin's plugins ?
Or it's more a standalone solution, like newsmanager plugin ?

1. What do you mean by news containers? You can only have one instance of the blog. Tell me if the below function is what you are looking for
Function to allow parameters to be passed to display specific categories or posts that match a criteria
  • Multiple instances of function could be used on in a template file
  • You can override default "list all posts" function in settings panel
  • Pass variable whether to display excerpt, thumbnail, or just heading or just thumbnail (etc..)

2 & 3. I have not used the majority of Martin's plugins so I do not know how they behave and they were not a consideration when creating this plugin. Is there any specific manors you would like this plugin to integrate with his?
For future roadmap, id love to see the same, templates for post llistings, and an inline insertion string replacer or whatever to insert them or multiples wherever you want. Not a big fan of slug replacer setups.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
First of all, great plugin.
When I choose to display an exerpt on the posts page, I see the following warning (and no text):
Code:
Warning: substr() expects parameter 3 to be long, object given in D:\www\site.com\plugins\blog\class\Blog.php on line 560
leenm Wrote:First of all, great plugin.
When I choose to display an exerpt on the posts page, I see the following warning (and no text):
Code:
Warning: substr() expects parameter 3 to be long, object given in D:\www\site.com\plugins\blog\class\Blog.php on line 560
Did you choose excerpt length?
mikeh Wrote:Did you choose excerpt length?
Of course, that was the first thing I checked Wink
Figured out what the problem is, parameter 3 ($maxchars) is passed as string, when long is expected. Fixed it by changing line 558 of Blog.php
Code:
public function create_excerpt($content, $start, $maxchars)
to
Code:
public function create_excerpt($content, $start, (int) $maxchars)

My PHP version: 5.3.10
hi mikeh, nice plugin. thank you!!
I'm testing it in my localhost

weird things I've seen:
- is only working for index.
++ (edited) SOLVED with your small upgrade

- when working on editing pages, the back end UI shows two buttons as active: EDIT PAGE and BLOG MANAGER (in orange both, see attach)
++ (edited) SOLVED, was my win/xampp environment - running perfect over linux/apache

one request
is it possible to append the blog Excerpt content for a few latest posts IN ANOTHER PAGE?
not meaning in RECENT POST (<?php show_blog_recent_posts(); ?> ), but showing some properties like: DATE, TITLE, EXCERPT
My intention is including a small "blog area" inside of HOME static content

and thanks again for sharing your efforts!
mikeh Wrote:1. What do you mean by news containers? You can only have one instance of the blog. Tell me if the below function is what you are looking for
Function to allow parameters to be passed to display specific categories or posts that match a criteria
  • Multiple instances of function could be used on in a template file
  • You can override default "list all posts" function in settings panel
  • Pass variable whether to display excerpt, thumbnail, or just heading or just thumbnail (etc..)

2 & 3. I have not used the majority of Martin's plugins so I do not know how they behave and they were not a consideration when creating this plugin. Is there any specific manors you would like this plugin to integrate with his?

Ohh that should cover all questions I'd come up with.
I didn't ask for plugin instances, as you mentioned about categories.
It was rather a question if displaying news list by categories is possible (like i18n_search based on page tags).
I just have to lay my hands on this plug and see what I can break Smile

When it goes to i18n plugin, it would be great if your plugin would support them.
Especially search , and galleries.

One more thing. Would it be possible to display excerpt of a news, based on a tag ?
Atm excerpt's length is a fixed value (chars, paragraph etc). But the length of excerpt may vary - sometimes 1 paragraph, sometimes 2. If there would be a way to pass a variable to create an excerpt per page, it would be great.
F.e {intro} below the excerpt in page content.

focoves: if you make tests on windows OS and you encounter problems, try on a linux based production environment
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Thank you for a nice plugin and for your immense contribution to GS in general.

Please include a translation string for the "Add Category" button and the "There are no post yet." remark in a next release.

Best

Chris
attached spanish language for gs blog v1.0

I've keep "post" in place of "publicacion" in order to keep clean layout on buttons

Some sentences like "POST TITLE" or DATE header (back end -> manage post) or ADD CATEGORY or ADD RSS or GO BACK TO PREVIOUS PAGE (front end)
are NOT in i18n array, but hardcoded in plugins folder -> blog.php file

regards
Thank you. No problem hard coding the translation of the buttons into the .php file but when updating the plugin then the translated butten values will be substituted for the hardcoded language.

NB: Should li 57b in the spanish language file not state publishingdate/time? And what is the blank field on the right hand side of the pub date/time for?

I will shorten the butten value texts and review the Danish translation once more before resubmitting

Best

Chris