Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Searching - "powered by getsimple"
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this - consider it a small warning.

I've noticed a number of hits on my website coming from google, where the search term is "powered by getsimple"

This is the default tag on (most?) themes.

I've since removed this line from my site, since the only two reasons I can imagine someone searching for this phrase is to audit for popularity of the CMS (which wouldn't need to click through to my site) or to locate GS sites in order to target a vulnerability.

Just a warning to you all to keep an eye on any suspicious activities, especially if you see that phrase in your keyword referrals.

-Rob A>
Agreed, I know of at least one plugin with a nasty vulnerability that needs to be patched.
Modern UI Admin for GetSimple
Watch the demo. Install this plugin. Use this CSS. Enjoy.
I first noticed these hits some time ago. I was sure I had posted about it, but perhaps not. It was about the time that an alleged vulnerability was posted to forum (subsequently discredited – I can't find that, either).

While I do have the footer link to GS, there's no way I would expose the GS version number on the admin login page, which is there by default. I have been the victim of a site hacking (with a different CMS), when a vulnerability in FCKeditor was targeted, based on the CMS version number being advertised. A similar Google search term was apparent in that case, too.
--
Nick.
I sent a message last month to the 2 vulnerable plugins authors..

Agree we should probably remove the version number from the admin panel login page as its only leaving us open to chancers !!

I'll put it on the issue tracker for the next release.
My Github Repos: Github
n00dles101 Wrote:I sent a message last month to the 2 vulnerable plugins authors..

did they react?
If not, maybe these plugins should be removed from the repository?
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18