Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External Comments Plugin
Thanks for this cool plugin.

The News Manager plugin has some new code so this post is keep the forum current. To utilize the External Comments in the News Manager insert 2 lines in the site.php file:

Code:
<?php
      # print tags, if any
      if (!empty($post->tags)) {
        echo '<p class="nm_post_meta"><b>' . i18n_r('news_manager/TAGS') . ':</b>';
        $tags = explode(',', $post->tags);
        foreach ($tags as $tag) {
          $url = nm_get_url('tag') . $tag;
          echo " <a href=\"$url\">$tag</a>";
        }
        echo '</p>';
      }
     # added to display a comment box via the External Comments Plugin
        get_external_comments($slug, $url, $title);
     # show "go back" link, if required
      if (strstr($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'], "post=$slug")) {
        echo '<p class="nm_post_back"><a href="javascript:history.back()">&lt;&lt; ';
        i18n('news_manager/GO_BACK');
        echo '</a></p>';
      }
      ?>

These 2 lines were added:
Code:
Not sure if anybody is interested in this, but if you use Disqus for external commenting, Chris Lamp has two articles about running functions after Disqus has loaded and how to insert additional content.

Maybe this is useful to someone.
EDIT/ Disqus disqualified. Too much nerv-twisting trial and error.
...finally i switched to facebook comments, seems to work fine at all.
HoOoray!
:-)
Robzilla Wrote:...

Sorry - I don't have the latest news manager set up to try - hopefully that plugin author can answer.

I also just wanted to share a recent article I read that indicates that blog/self hosted comments are less and less popular with the rise of social media.... It seems more people are willing to comment on a page that is Facebook comment enabled as it will also show up in their facebook posts as well.

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/are-blog-comments-dying/

-Rob A>
Rob,

when "blog comments are dying", comment-spam will die as well, or wander to Facebook

a good news for all non-facebookers ;=)
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
GetSimple is really not so simple as it's name suggests!
:-(

I try to integrate / use External Comments Plugin (Facebook Comments) with News Manager (not Extended News Manager) on a clean installation, but there are two little errors (or bugs?), so i really need help of this community.

Commenting function is working with "Facebook Comments" after inserting the codelines on this forum-site above:

Code:

That's cool so far, but when i comment a news post, the comment on facebook is not showing the right "headline" (title / slug) of the news post and there is always the same (wrong) image loaded on facebook.

[Image: screenshotdsk.jpg]

Link to Testsite: http://pr145.s003-r01h10.ec-c.net/gs3/news/

Please please please (!!!) coul'd anyone help me to fix this? I'm getting in real (!!!) trouble, if i can't manage to get any kind of comments-plugin to work on (just) one specific GetSimple page i created a few weeks ago. It is too late to switch to another cms because of the amount of content there already is created by the user / website owner.

Kind regards,
Rob

GetSimple 3.0 (clean install for testing News Manager and External Comments Plugin)
External Comments Plugin 0.9
News Manager 2.2.4

EDIT/ I passed my Facebook User-ID in Plugin-Backend. Have i to use my APP-ID here? I've got no APP-ID now, but if this is the correct ID to pass - anyone please tell me so i look to get some APP-ID a.s.a.p.

1000 THX! Rob

- - -

Sorry, a (very) little bit off topic, but:
BTW. i can't believe there is not one "stand alone" comment plugin for use with GetSimple as this one basic feature of ANY other CMS i know. This should be part of GS-Core, but that is another kind of topic.

Does anyone know an usable (stable) alternative comment plugin (or script without sql) to implement / integrate / use with GetSimple? Did search via google for hours (maAany of hours), but without any usable result. I just need a "simple" function / plugin to comment on News Manager Posts - Admin should have the option to edit or delete posts. Not more - not less. Please please please anyone help me i'm getting in real trouble because i decided to use GetSimple for this job.
Looks fine to me in Chrome. Wher are you getting those funny red + and titles from?

[Image: misc.php?item=835&download=0]

-Rob A>
Robzilla Wrote:Does anyone know an usable (stable) alternative comment plugin (or script without sql) to implement / integrate / use with GetSimple?

Have you looked at http://www.htmlcommentbox.com/? It is a third party comment solution that can moderated via your google account.
Robzilla Wrote:Does anyone know an usable (stable) alternative comment plugin (or script without sql) to implement / integrate / use with GetSimple?

Hello,
have you seen this: http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/2545/...ts-plugin/?

Regards.
Hello!

How can I change the color of comments on facebook?
szili Wrote:Hello!

How can I change the color of comments on facebook?

facebook has recently added a colorscheme="dark" parameter that can be added to the code... I'll include that in the next release. Other than that you can not arbitrarily change the facebook comment colours.

To do this manually, change line 146 from this:
Code:
$new_content .= '<fb:comments href="' . $PageURL . '" num_posts="" width=""></fb:comments>';

to this:
Code:
$new_content .= '<fb:comments colorscheme="dark" href="' . $PageURL . '" num_posts="" width=""></fb:comments>';

(You could probably do it by javascript changing styles of things after the page is loaded, but that is beyond simple)

-Rob A>
It works, thank you!
Thank you for this wonderful plugin Smile
But I just can't get some things to work.. I tried editing the external_comments.php file, but I just can't figure out how to do this:

I am using facebook comments
Comments are working perfectly, all I need is -
In the index.php page I have configured News Manager, and when you click on news title, it goes to index.php?post=news-title, and the comments work perfectly there.
1) So.. All I need is - in the index.php page next to all the news titles the according comment count that it has.

I know that facebook has this option:
Code:
<fb:comments-count href=http://example.com/></fb:comments-count>

But I am not that advanced in php.. So maybe someone can help me?
Thank you,
Janis.
Hi,

I am very new to GetSimple and I am trying to use your plugin on my page. I also have the News Manager installed and have tried to follow the instructions in this thread, but can't get it to work. Maybe I am missing something, so here's what I did:
  • Unzipped the files into plugin folder
  • Got an account at IntenseDebate and entered UserName on Plugins page
  • Inserted "get_external_comments($slug, $url, $title);" into the plugins/news_manager/inc/site.php file of the news manager like described above

Is there anything else I need to do? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards
draic_kin Wrote:Hi,

I am very new to GetSimple and I am trying to use your plugin on my page. I also have the News Manager installed and have tried to follow the instructions in this thread, but can't get it to work. Maybe I am missing something, so here's what I did:
  • Unzipped the files into plugin folder
  • Got an account at IntenseDebate and entered UserName on Plugins page
  • Inserted "get_external_comments($slug, $url, $title);" into the plugins/news_manager/inc/site.php file of the news manager like described above

Is there anything else I need to do? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards

Do the comments work on NON newsmanager pages?

Did you insert that code at around line 118 in the nm_show_post function??

-Rob A>
Thanks for your response!
I did also try that before, but that did not make a difference. But using the plugin with facebook did, so there must be anything wrong with IntenseDebate. I have tried both my normal username as well as my UserKey.
Any ideas on that? I am not a big fan of facebook, in fact I don't even have an account.

Regards

Edit: I have now moved to disqus and it's working fine (also tried livefyre, but no guest commenting there. always need to login with twitter or so).
Great plugin!

I have a couple of topic-specific discussions on Disqus but from what I understand the plugin only supports one. Do I understand correctly? If yes, are there any plans for supporting multiple discussions? (in effect allowing me to embed different discussions in different pages of my site)

Thanks again for this great plugin!
Hi there,
I have problem with page facebook coments working with news manager.
If I post comment on page it will apear on facebook profile but there is not image of post which I wrote comment for, but image of side banner on my page (rounded in print screen image).

Also I would like to have my news excerpt on facebook profile (like on image marked with rectangle). Now its just a link to page and image that has nothing to do with posted news.

Can somebody try to solve this?
Thank's

[Image: 01.jpg]
Kovalj Wrote:Hi there,
I have problem with page facebook coments working with news manager.
If I post comment on page it will apear on facebook profile but there is not image of post which I wrote comment for, but image of side banner on my page (rounded in print screen image).

I think that is an issue with Facebook's comment API, and has little to do with GetSimple, or the plugin...

-Rob A>
Hi there, I have one problem with news manager & comments working together.

When two or more posts have same tags, facebook coments is shown on all posts. For example if I comment one post with facebook, that comment is apear on all posts with same tag.

help please?
Howdy.

This plugin is really good, it blends in perfectly with my theme, but there is tiny issue: All my pages have the same thread going on.

I am using the GSBlog plugin. I think this has something to do with it.
(2013-09-05, 07:22:27)Nillerz Wrote: Howdy.

This plugin is really good, it blends in perfectly with my theme, but there is tiny issue: All my pages have the same thread going on.

I am using the GSBlog plugin. I think this has something to do with it.

GS Blog has external comments support using Disqus already - no need to use this plugin?
Hi RobA,

There's been a problem with quotations and inverted commas not being escaped when they exist in page titles, which causes the comments not to display properly.

I discussed a fix with Draxeiro via PM some time back which worked:

Quote:Slight bug in the External Comments coding. Open up external_comments.php and replace lines 102-108 with the following:

PHP Code:
/* fix (lines 102-108) */

$new_content .= '<div id="disqus_thread"></div>'."\n";

$new_content .= '<script type="text/javascript">'."\n";

$new_content .= 'var disqus_shortname = "'.$external_comments_conf['shortname'].'";'."\n"

$new_content .= 'var disqus_developer = "'.$external_comments_conf['developer'].'";'."\n"

$new_content .= 'var disqus_identifier = "'.$PostID.'";'."\n";

$new_content .= 'var disqus_url = "'.$PageURL.'";'."\n";

$new_content .= 'var disqus_title = "'.$PageTitle.'";'."\n"

Just wanted to bring the bug to your attention.
"GS Blog has external comments support using Disqus already - no need to use this plugin?"

I prefer to use this plugin over a built in one, its easier to maintain and add to other pages.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Hi!
Is there a way to get a notification when someone leaves a comment?
Thanks!