Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about next GS Version... Feature requests by me
Hi all,
i wonder why there isnt any new beta for this great software. I highly appreciate all the work that has be done yet on the system. However in my opinion there are some features that should be integrated in the next version.

What i would like to see:
  • Autoresizing of images (i know there is a plugin for that, but i think that is really necessary in the core)
    I would like to see the images beeing auto resized to a "human" size (eg. 4000x3000 gets resized to 800x600)and then automatically a lightbox link to the bigger version of the image gets added.
    That would fit perfectly to your mission statement of having a cms that everyone can handle
  • Possibilty to switch between Wysiwyg and normal editor for the components
  • Link to Components to in Pagedialog
  • Responsive Version of Backend or mobileversion of Backend for using the smartphone for changing content

Thanks for this already awesome CMS
Another cool feature would be a option for the navigation tag, to echo anchors instead of links..

e.g
Code:
<li class="title"><a href="#title" title="title">title</a></li>
instead of
<li class="title"><a href="http://www.url.com/title/" title="title">title</a></li>
Would be very useful for Onepage themes
another request is to have the possibility to offline a website with a message like "under construction"
version 3.1 was just recently released. When there is enough changes implemented for a beta or release candidate you will see it.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
m1k3y Wrote:Link to Components to in Pagedialog

I made a small plugin for that:
Code:
<?php

$thisfile = basename(__FILE__, ".php");

register_plugin(
    $thisfile,
    'Components in Admin Pages sidebar',    
    '0.1',        
    'Carlos Navarro',
    '#',
    'Adds shortcut link to Edit Components in Page Management sidebar',
    'pages',
    ''
);

add_action('pages-sidebar', 'sidebarcomponentslink');

function sidebarcomponentslink() { ?>
    <li id="sb_components" ><a href="components.php"  <?php check_menu('components'); ?> accesskey="<?php echo find_accesskey(i18n_r('SIDE_COMPONENTS'));?>" ><?php i18n('SIDE_COMPONENTS'); ?></a></li>
<?php }

// end of file

Save this as compoadminpages.php in your plugins folder.
m1k3y Wrote:Another cool feature would be a option for the navigation tag, to echo anchors instead of links..

This can be accomplished without plugins, by changing your custom permalink structure. See here:
http://get-simple.info/forum/topic/2375/...nal-links/

(Instead of the SimplePageContent plugin you coule simply use GetSimple's (3.1) function getPageContent() in your template)
didou038 Wrote:another request is to have the possibility to offline a website with a message like "under construction"

This would make a nice plugin...
(There was some Maintenance mode plugin time ago, but I think it didn't let logged in users to view the site)
Thank you Carlos for that little Plugin, WYSIWYG for components would be nice though

@shawn_a

I know that all the work has be done freely and voluntarily, i dont expect from anyone to release a new version every month or so. Just as i said, i think this features I supposed would be worth integrating in my opinion, to make this cms even better
m1k3y Wrote:WYSIWYG for components would be nice though

It has been already requested, I suppose GS will have that in some future version.

Meanwhile you can use mvlcek's Theme Highlighter plugin.
Carlos Wrote:
m1k3y Wrote:WYSIWYG for components would be nice though

It has been already requested, I suppose GS will have that in some future version.

Such "wysiwyg components" are called "customfields" Wink

Bringing wysiwyg into components will make things worse, as component boxes will loose their main purpose.
I'd suggest additional htmlcomponents (or customfields as core functionality) instead of adding wysiwyg into one of main GS functionality.

Somebody also described how to add ckeditor to components long time ago.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
As i wrote above I would like to have switchable components (between wysiwyg and normal)
yojoe Wrote:Bringing wysiwyg into components will make things worse, as component boxes will loose their main purpose.
I'd suggest additional htmlcomponents (or customfields as core functionality) instead of adding wysiwyg into one of main GS functionality.

I mixed things up, I was talking about syntax highlightinh, not a WYSIWYG editor, sorry... (well it could be guessed, as I also suggested the Theme Highlighter plugin)

As this has frequently been requested, I also think that, if not in the core, it would be nice that someone makes a simple plugin which does the same as GS components but for html/text snippets. They could be called e.g. Blocks, and they would be inserted in the template (or components) with
Code:
<?php get_block('nameofblock'); ?>
Thats exactly what i would like to have,
I see some of my clients using the sidebar comoponent frequently to post some news or to make announcements, and they complainend about the lack of WYSIWYG.
I then switched it to 3.1 and to the get_page_field function, but the site has about 40 Subpages so the Sidebarpage it is now a little bit hidden.

I think thats just a logical step if you divide between pages which are only there once and blocks which always load on every page.
That clears things up.
Another way, would be creating those blocks as GS pages (better as private ones), then inserting them in the template with
Code:
<?php getPageContent('pageslug'); ?>

They (or some of them) could be grouped under the same parent (let's call it "blocks", or whatever) so that they're not mixed with normal pages...
Thats a solution, but I think a software has to have a logic behind it. And a page is definentivly a page and not a block.
I think for untrainend Users this helps to clarify things
Its not a page, it's a block, a page has a slug, a title tags.

This would be defined as block of html or content.

A component is a block that provides dynamic content or performs interactive functions.

I agree with keeping it seperate.

Why not use a normal page as a sidebar, then it can be authored just like any other page and include components. Thats what I do.
Carlos Wrote:Another way, would be creating those blocks as GS pages (better as private ones), then inserting them in the template with
Code:
<?php getPageContent('pageslug'); ?>

They (or some of them) could be grouped under the same parent (let's call it "blocks", or whatever) so that they're not mixed with normal pages...
How about creating one page that has its own custom/special fields (defined with WYSIWYG editors) and naming it 'block', then calling the blocks from it using:

Code:
<?php getPageField('block', 'blockname'); ?>

The page would again need to be kept private, but this would eliminate the need for having a different page created for every custom block wanted. I offer this just as a current solution, because I also think it would be a good idea to have a get_block() and get_i18n_block() as functions in the future too.

*edit* Also placeholders such as (% blockname %) would be nice to be able to use in page content, but mvlcek's DynPages plugin might easily be modified to do the job with {% blockname %}.
(2012-04-13, 19:07:54)Carlos Wrote: I made a small plugin for that:
Code:
'Components in Admin Pages sidebar',

Russian edition of the plugin Adds shortcut link to Edit Components in Page Management sidebar.
Russian edition of 'Components in Admin Pages sidebar'
I think that it's not a good idea to upload plugins to the Plugin Languages section.
(2015-03-10, 05:33:26)Carlos Wrote: I think that it's not a good idea to upload plugins to the Plugin Languages section.

Agree with Your opinion. However, I am not the author of this plugin, I only translated a few lines in Russian language. So I was ashamed to publish the plugin as an author.
But if You don't mind - I will move into the category of "Plugins". I know that the author of this little plugin is You, dear Carlos, so ask Your permission.
I understand. It's what I had imagined. But I prefer you don't move it to Plugins.

IMHO the proper way to publish a modified version of a plugin like yours is by having it in another server (like Oleg does with his Russian or modified versions of plugins), or attached to a forum post, ... but not in Extend. But that's just my opinion.

PS I've uploaded the plugin to Extend :-) (version 0.2, slight changes)
I translated it http://getsimplecms.ru/data/uploads/plug...npages.zip
(2015-03-12, 03:37:10)Carlos Wrote: <...censored...>
IMHO the proper way to publish a modified version of a plugin like yours is by having it in another server <...censored...> ... but not in Extend. But that's just my opinion.
<...censored...>

OK. I have removed the Russian version 0.1 of the plugin from Extend.
Can you guys see if mybb might have some useful files plugins, to add files to a thread and we can add ability to add file modifications on support threads, and keep them out of extend. I am assuming this plugin does not use a language file , hence the rogue versions ?
This plugin doesn't need a language file to work.
St_brat translated the title and description in the register_plugin call so that it is listed in Russian in the Plugin Management section.