GetSimple Support Forum

Full Version: I18N Gallery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Worked a treat. Thanks mvlcek.

Trafford
hi, i'm trying to use your cycle slideshow in I18N Gallery on my local server; everything is ok but i'm not able to get it with autostart. i've inserted this code in my page:

Code:
(% gallery name=slideshow autostart=true %)

but it won't work! where i'm in wrong?!?? thanks.
aston Wrote:hi, i'm trying to use your cycle slideshow in I18N Gallery on my local server; everything is ok but i'm not able to get it with autostart.

The cycle slideshow starts automatically anyway, this parameter has no effect. Maybe the Javascript is not included correctly (get_header()) or you have two or none jQuery include (or jQuery after gallery).
Mvlcek: do you have any plans to add image caching to i18n_gallery ? Or anything that would lessen php need for cpu time ? I've noticed that default i18g settings make the galleryto recreate thumbs every time I refresh page.
I ask for it, I did get a notification that a website consumes over 5% of cpu, which is the common limit for shared hosting.
I did everything I could to optimize it, but then I've realized that the only plugin which may use so much resources is the i18n_gallery.
yojoe Wrote:Mvlcek: do you have any plans to add image caching to i18n_gallery ? Or anything that would lessen php need for cpu time ? I've noticed that default i18g settings make the galleryto recreate thumbs every time I refresh page.
I ask for it, I did get a notification that a website consumes over 5% of cpu, which is the common limit for shared hosting.
I did everything I could to optimize it, but then I've realized that the only plugin which may use so much resources is the i18n_gallery.

I18N Gallery does NOT recreate the thumbs, but it outputs the image through the PHP script.
But I'm planning on doing some further optimizations.
Can anyone please offer help on how to paginate this gallery?Dont seem to find a way out in achieving this.
abayomi222 Wrote:Can anyone please offer help on how to paginate this gallery?Dont seem to find a way out in achieving this.

There is no way doing this server-side, but you should be able to do a client-side pagination using e.g. a jQuery pagination plugin.
mvlcek Wrote:
abayomi222 Wrote:Can anyone please offer help on how to paginate this gallery?Dont seem to find a way out in achieving this.

There is no way doing this server-side, but you should be able to do a client-side pagination using e.g. a jQuery pagination plugin.
can you please recommend any jquery pagination plugin?
@abayomi222:

1) this plugin offers a bunch of different galleries
2) each gallery has its own script and logic
3) did you check the homepages of these galleries whether they offer pagination or not?
4) you do not tell us which gallery you are using so how can we suggest you something?
Connie Wrote:@abayomi222:

1) this plugin offers a bunch of different galleries
2) each gallery has its own script and logic
3) did you check the homepages of these galleries whether they offer pagination or not?
4) you do not tell us which gallery you are using so how can we suggest you something?
Hey connie.
I am using prettyphoto
Hi there. I have just moved my site from a development environment (Win2003) to a live environment (hosted)
This I did according to Wiki instructions. I have the following modules installed:
  • I18N Gallery Version 1.4.5
    p01-contact Version 0.9.1
    Innovation Theme Settings Version 1.0
    I18N Search Version 2.3.2

Everything works fine except - while in the admin back end if I select the Gallery tab it takes me to the main site with page not found. In the main site the gallery works fine. Can anyone guide me on this please?

Thanks in advance
vg30 Wrote:Hi there. I have just moved my site from a development environment (Win2003) to a live environment (hosted)

Everything works fine except - while in the admin back end if I select the Gallery tab it takes me to the main site with page not found. In the main site the gallery works fine. Can anyone guide me on this please?

Probably loadtab.php could not be copied from /plugins/i18n_gallery to /admin.
Do it manually (give it the same rights as the other files in /admin) and everything should work.
Hello,

first of all thank you for a wonderful extension!

Recently, I've decided to rebuild my portfolio from a static website to something simple, yet CMS driven. Not surprisingly - decision was made to use GetSimple. It quickly turned out to be a wonderful system to play with on such small websites such as my portfolio. However, I wanted to continue using fancybox for my works presentation and luckily I found I18N Gallery component which provides what I need. So, there's my old-new portfolio at szmigieldesign.pl using GetSimple together with bunch of essential I18N plugins.

I enjoyed rebuilding the webiste for GetSimple with its wonderful extensions that I've decided to share my insights on some components, with gallery being one of the most important for me.

Here are my thoughts about I18N:

:: 01 :: Thumbnail generation
With fancybox, thumbnail images are generated from originals and are always relative to original's horizontal and vertical center. This is fine for most applications, but sometimes produces nasty results. For example, on my photography gallery it sometimes cuts model's heads.

Being able to choose the default anchor point for thumbnails generation and then having the ability to change it for particular images (top, bottom, left, right) would fix the problem.

:: 02 :: Thumbnail downloading
I've noticed that thumbnails are being downloaded every time a page is being opened which results in lots of traffic.

It would be great to cache the thumbnails and avoid the need to reload them every time the site is accessed

:: 03 :: Long galleries
Long galleries take time to load, it would help to create some pagination or some kind of lazy-load plugin which prevents preloading all images on the site but instead load only those that can be displayed according to your screen resolution.

This can be added manually as a jQuery script for example, but nevertheless - it would be cool to have as a switch while creating the gallery

:: 04 :: CSS preloading
I've noticed that CSS from galleries is being added locally to HTML output instead of attaching additional CSS file.

Attaching external CSS file would be a better solution - easier to edit. Additionally, providing users with ability to edit CSS from the backend would be even better.

:: 05 :: Gallery presentation advanced settings
Fancybox provides some advanced presentation settings which allow users to change various animations, their timing and overall behaviour but it can't be modified from the backend while adding galleries.

I'd love to have the ability to change it in the backend. It could be adjusted globally (not separately for each gallery) for easier implementation.

:: thanks ::

Finally - thank you for your hard work. I really appreciate it! Please treat my comments as a support and not just plain requests. I'm happy to participate with development of this wonderful extension. Unfortunately - I don't code. But if you were in need of some interface elements or CSS styles for particular galleries - I'll be glad to help.
szmigielDESIGN Wrote:Here are my thoughts about I18N:

:: 01 :: Thumbnail generation
With fancybox, thumbnail images are generated from originals and are always relative to original's horizontal and vertical center. This is fine for most applications, but sometimes produces nasty results. For example, on my photography gallery it sometimes cuts model's heads.

Being able to choose the default anchor point for thumbnails generation and then having the ability to change it for particular images (top, bottom, left, right) would fix the problem.

I'll put it on my TODO list.

szmigielDESIGN Wrote::: 02 :: Thumbnail downloading
I've noticed that thumbnails are being downloaded every time a page is being opened which results in lots of traffic.

It would be great to cache the thumbnails and avoid the need to reload them every time the site is accessed

I'm currently working on it.

szmigielDESIGN Wrote::: 03 :: Long galleries
Long galleries take time to load, it would help to create some pagination or some kind of lazy-load plugin which prevents preloading all images on the site but instead load only those that can be displayed according to your screen resolution.

This can be added manually as a jQuery script for example, but nevertheless - it would be cool to have as a switch while creating the gallery

Basically done as jQuery paging for next release - but I'm not sure that this will speed up load time, as it's on the client only - and the paging is for the thumbnails, not for the fancybox/prettyphoto popup itself.

szmigielDESIGN Wrote::: 04 :: CSS preloading
I've noticed that CSS from galleries is being added locally to HTML output instead of attaching additional CSS file.

Attaching external CSS file would be a better solution - easier to edit. Additionally, providing users with ability to edit CSS from the backend would be even better.

Lot's of the styles are dynamic, because they are dependent on thumbnail or image size, position of text, etc. Thus an external CSS file is not feasible.

And you can easily add the appropriate styles to your own style sheet using the theme tab.

szmigielDESIGN Wrote::: 05 :: Gallery presentation advanced settings
Fancybox provides some advanced presentation settings which allow users to change various animations, their timing and overall behaviour but it can't be modified from the backend while adding galleries.

I'd love to have the ability to change it in the backend. It could be adjusted globally (not separately for each gallery) for easier implementation.

I want to keep I18N Gallery as simple as possible, which means that the user should not be overwhelmed with options, but still have enough choices. But if you have reasonable wishes they can be included. Globally adjustable options would be more effort, as the current system of plugins for different gallery types does not support it.

szmigielDESIGN Wrote::: thanks ::

Finally - thank you for your hard work. I really appreciate it! Please treat my comments as a support and not just plain requests. I'm happy to participate with development of this wonderful extension. Unfortunately - I don't code. But if you were in need of some interface elements or CSS styles for particular galleries - I'll be glad to help.

I'm glad to be of service :-)
And if you earn too much money by using my plugins, you might want to rid yourself of some of it by donating on http://mvlcek.bplaced.net ;-)
I18N Gallery version 1.6:
  • Speeds up image loading by using direct links to the image files if the scaled version or thumbnail already exists (and no other plugin uses the filter/action provided by I18N Gallery) - the webserver should then send appropriate Not-Changed HTTP headers to avoid additional downloads (@yojoe, @szmigielDESIGN)
  • Provides client side paging of thumbnails for Fancybox and prettyPhoto (@abayomi222, @szmigielDESIGN)
  • Adds a class gallery-thumb-link or gallery-title-link to links to galleries created with (% gallerylink ... %) or get_i18n_gallery_link(...) to allow easy styling using CSS (@Neotropex)
Great news mvlcek!

I'm checking if everything updates smoothly on my local server and will go live with 1.6 if everything is ok.

Also, I'll be sure to donate whenever creating some websites for my clients - this is a must for such great extensions ;-)
Works like a charm and it took me less than 5 minutes to update, cool!

However, I have a small issue with my galleries using fancybox. When I use mouse wheel to navigate through the gallery - it always moves forward. I can't get back to previous image regardless of scrolling up or down with mouse wheel. I have jquery.mousewheel-3.0.4.pack.js linked to my document. Generally - it works but being able to navigate back through the gallery with mouse wheel would be nice.
is whether your plans are to add the ability to download a video from YouTube's and flash in fansybox and prettyphoto
Oleg06 Wrote:is whether your plans are to add the ability to download a video from YouTube's and flash in fansybox and prettyphoto

No, I have currently no plans for YouTube and Flash. I18N Gallery is geared towards making image galleries easy and displaying them even without Javascript (and definitely without Flash).
I looked through the examples of the possible galleries but I can't find the gallery I want.

[Image: v43y9g.jpg]

Is it possible to make something like this? If not, is there another plugin that could do that?
I did a gallery like that outside of I18N-gallery, using one of the many jquery-galleries and including the JS-files in a special template for those galleries

you can include any galleries you want in a GS-page ;=)

Cheers, Connie
Connie Wrote:I did a gallery like that outside of I18N-gallery, using one of the many jquery-galleries and including the JS-files in a special template for those galleries

you can include any galleries you want in a GS-page ;=)

Cheers, Connie

I know that's possible but my client needs to be able to put pictures into the galleries. And as far as I know that's only possible with plugins? Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Jarno,

if that is so, if you need a "user interface" and can't integrate the images in a page (with all that special outlines which are used for the galleries) you should check whether you can integrate the galery which you want to use into i18N-Gallery

Mvlcek described how to do this in a former posting here: http://get-simple.info/forum/post/20855/#p20855